Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are stock rear (52") springs symmetrical?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Nov 21, 2004.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Are stock rear (52\") springs symmetrical?

Are they made to the same dimensions for a K5, K10, and K20? Is the centering pin centered between the spring eyes? Is there a "front" and "rear" when installing them? I always thought that they were centered, so there wouldn't be a "front eye" and "rear eye", but my friend claims that the centering pin is 1 1/2" more toward the front of his spring pack.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Are stock rear (52\") springs symmetrical?

REAR springs you can put on either way...I just went out and measured 5 sets of different ton springs and they were all the same, center pin IS centered between the spring eyes and the eyes are the same. Its the front springs that aren't symmentrical.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ok, thanks. I though they were the same also, but just checkin' before I tell my buddy that he's fruity (and can't operate a tape measure/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif).

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Another thing I learned though is that my 5.5" rear SkyJacker springs are not the same. I did have stock springs with an add-a-leaf and a 4" block with a driveshaft made to the correct length. When I swapped in the lifted springs the drive shaft wouldn't fit, it was too long, and the pinion was pointing directly at the t-case. I put the springs in backwards and then my driveshaft worked and the pinion angle matches my t-case angle.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know a lot of spring packs have built in tapers in one direction /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Maybe I'm missing something here. I just finished swapping axles and springs (all stock, no lifts) in several of our 1 ton trucks (1980 to 87, 2wds and 4wds) and all the rear spring center pins were not centered. There was a front and back.

I never measured to see if they were 52", am I thinking of a different spring?

Eric M.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The 56"s I do believe have a front and back, but the 52"s show be reversable /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif