Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are the 3/4 ton ifs diffs and cv shafts any stronger then the 1/2 ton ones?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by COCHEV, Apr 18, 2004.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

also how about the balljoints too? i want to lift my 2500 but not interested in a sas. is the 3/4 ton ifs any stronger then the 1/2 ton stuff? thanks,

jason

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Depends, do you have a 6 lug or 8 lug 2500?
    If a 6 lug, or LD, then no. Yes if it is an 8 lug.
    The 1/2 tons us a 37 size CV and the 3/4-1 tons use a 60 size. '88-~96 HDs used a 47 size then the newer ones were upgraded to a 60 size. The number is the torqe rating of the CV joint. The only difference to from the 47-60 is the size of the axle shaft. They made them larger in OD and finer splines. The inner tri-pot also went too a low clearance design. IIRC, you can bolt some late model shafts into an earlier truck for extra strength.

I work at the Delpi plant that makes the CVs.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

mine is a 95 with 8 lugs. it has 4.10s and the semifloater in the rear with limited slip. i'd like to run 37s. truck would be used for 90% highway, 10% weekend warrior.

4. Diesel Dan

You'd have the 47 size outer CV. Stronger than the 1/2 ton but not as strong as the '97+ trucks. If you break one see if you can get some from a salvage yard for a later model and see if they fit.

5. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Will the 3/4 stuff transfer directly into a 1/2 ton of the same year? We're about to do a lift on a 01' Tahoe and rather than put that puny 1/2 ton crap back in we'd like to improve the base set-up. Also, what about the 3/4 steering gear, like the tie-rods and the idler arm, are they heavier duty that the 1/2?

6. Diesel Dan

Gear boxes are basically the same. Pitman arms are the same from 1/2 to 3/4. I don't know if the front diffs will interchange in the frame mounts. This is something I have wondered for years. I had a K1500 turbo diesel that I wanted to swap over to 8 lug, never did it thou.