Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are the 5.13's weak gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Are the 5.13\'s weak gears?

I am getting ready to hopefully do the gears this month but before I commit, I hear that the lower gears with the smaller pinion can be weak and break. So whats the strait scoop? Should I stay with a 4.88? The rpm issue is not with me as I run 40's with a car trailor. Thanks.

2. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

Re: Are the 5.13\'s weak gears?

Hey sandman do you still have those swampers for sale. Just kidding. As far as the gears go I have heard the same thing and it makes sence, but I know a guy running 37" open diffs and a strong big block. He claims to never had a problem.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I can see where real low ratios would be weak on smaller axles but not on a D60 or 14 bolt. The parts in these axles are simply bigger to begin with so they are not prone to the same weaknesses that a D44 (or similar axle) with 5.13's (or lower) would be.

I say this with 100% confidence as I have a D60 & 14 bolt in my truck with 5.13's. I've run this same (undisturbed) set up for about 6 years now with no failures. While I don't do any rock climbing, I can promise you that I have tested them a time or two. For the record I have had a roller 468 with 44's.

4. Sandman

Well that should be good enough for me then. I ussually run 40's for everything but I am thinking about a set of 44's for the bogs so I wanted to go as low as possible.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I believe that the pinion gears in extremely low ratios are weaker, but only when the gear teeth "valleys" are below the outer diameter of the pinion shaft. You might also lose a little bit of tooth engagement between the ring and pinio because of the smaller pinion gear. The big thing to remember is that there is a difference between a part being "weak" and just being "weaker" when compared to something else.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Well Sandman, I hate to make this reply so soon after bragging on them but I broke my D60 5.13's this weekend.

I was with a big group yesterday wheeling in a local swamp. Lot's of deep water and mud with some stumps thrown in. Apparently somewhere under the water there was a stump stronger than a D60, that combined with 6000 lbs, a healthy bbc and 44's was just too much. The end result was 15 teeth broken off of the ring gear BUT the pinion (the center of the weakness argument) appears to be OK (as well as the Trac Lock).

I still feel that the 5.13's are plenty strong enough for what we do. I may replace the r&p with another 5.13 set OR this just may be the push I've been needing to finish building another set of axles (D60/D70HD) in my garage that have 5.86's. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Either way I will go back together with a ratio in the 5's with no hesitation. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

What brand of gear? (BTW Really wish I could have made it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

John won't be near a computer until tomorrow so I will answer for him on the gear make.
    If memory serves me correctly it was a "Richmond Gear" .

Sandman - I have had a lot of experience with R/P's and feel the 5.13's( in a Dana 60) are still of good strength - not as strong as a lower numerically gear but still strong.
    I was with John when his 5.13's broke yesterday, and let me tell you he was working them HARD !!!! John is a very cautious driver , but when needed he will test some metal.
    When he hit that stump( or stumps ) he was using a fair amount of throttle and never let off while the truck walked over the stump. It was brutal to say the least!!! We were in the truck screaming like little girls when the crack , pop , clunk , and bang sounds came fron the front end as we hit the wall of stumps. John eased up on the throttle just enough, to keep it moving w/o stripping the ring gear, to get the truck to some higher ground .
    My point for telling you about John's truck is because he NEEDS a Dana60 up front and he uses it hard and it has held up well behind a 465 4-speed and an extremely healthy BBC.
    The 5.13's have done there job , but even a 60 has its limits......
    John , when you read this -- THANKS for one hell of a ride!!! YOU ARE THE MAN !!!! Tom

9. Sandman

Thanks for the reply's. I plan on ordering them this week and hopefully installing them next week. I plan to switch between 40's and 44's depending on what I'm doing. the problem I'm having is exploding drivelines. I currently have 4.11's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif