Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are the Caddy calipers really worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Mar 26, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm converting my stock 87 K5 into a tow rig. This will involve a 3/4 ton axle swap, hydro 465, and a 205. I'm keeping my 10 bolt up front since I have the parts to convert it. My question is, would the Cadillac calipers really be a good venture on this truck, or would the heavy ass drum brakes do the job? I will only have 33's on it, and I'm fairly confident that the stock drums could get the job done.

I've read about some of the drawbacks of the caddy calipers. Things like adjustment problems, sticking pads, FINDING THEM, and the e-brake cable issues. These just don't seem worth it to me.

My only other option is the HAD 205 E-brake. That seems like the only viable choice if I don't keep the drums. What do you guys think?

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Too me, its not worth it.
    --Get either the driveline brake or a mechanical linelock from JC whiteney or Summit

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I would at least try the drums first, IMHO the biggest benefit of the rear discs is that they won't fill with junk like drums will when you're offroad. For a tow rig this is a non-issue. You might consider getting some 13" 1 ton drums to replace the 11" 3/4 ton ones, they make a pretty good difference in the stopping power from what I understand. </font>