Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are the newer 350's good motors?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Mar 23, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Are the newer 350\'s good motors?

I have a chance to buy a '91 350 that has a bad bearing. Be a good rebuilder.

I understand these motors are the one-piece rear main seals and the centerbolt valve covers.

Are these motors desirable? Would it be worth rebuilding? Can I use an intake to adapt a carburetor to it?

I want to use this motor to power the '82 K30 I got from Shawn. Just rebuild it to a good, strong daily driver.

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Re: Are the newer 350\'s good motors?

Basically it is a 350... no real huge deal. Average internals, nothing special. The heads couyld be worse, but they definetly aren't the best of the bunch either. They aren't really desirable but they do make a solid daily driver core to start with.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

So, in your opinion, would I be better off finding an older motor or just use this one?

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

IMO... if you have this motor or it is cheap, go with it. Maybe do a head and matching cam upgrade. A set of vortecs would be pretty nice for fuel economy and power, although if you wanna run cheap for a while just rebuild it and you can upgrade later if needed.

5. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

If you look in the "Parts For Sale" forum I have an Edelbrock intake mainifold to put a spreadbore aka Quadrajet carburator on the engine you're refering to. There seems to be more aftermarket parts available for the old style engines, but I think that that will change after a while. I think that GM made changes to improve upon the old design, and it wouldn't be a bad choice.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Make sure it's for an 87-95 style motor. They use a different (slightly) intake. Vortec heads are yet another different (drastically different and EXPENSIVE!) intake.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

In stock form they are rated at 210 hp. with the tbi. There are tons of parts available for them. I would think it is a good choise.