Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are there any negative's to wheeling in a diesal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Loose Nut, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

Im considering a swap in my jimmy, and well im thinkin in the long run the diesal would be better, if i have to drive it on the street or to the trails, the power would be better, and + milage.

my only concern is possibly if i go muddin. any comments on running one?

thanks peeps.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Unless you're entering mud drags, or wheel in a lot of sand i don't see a downside. Regular mud I've never had a problem getting enough wheel speed to get the TSL's to self clean. The 6.2 does govern out at 3600 rpm which is high for a diesel.

Pro's are they just sip fuel offroad. At idle they'll practically run forever on a tank of fuel, and a lot of wheeling is at very low speeds and near idle. They run just as smoothly at extreme angles as they do perfectly flat.

I still think it was one of the best things I've ever done to my truck.

Rene

3. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

thats Trusty, i think its something ill start planning for. See if i can find one and get it rebuilt.

4. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I dont Know if I would go back to gas now that I have run the Diesel. She has tons of low end power and you can stand her on end and she will still run. I was winching a truck off a hill on e time and left my truck totally nose down a Steep hill, Axles completly crossed in a 3foot rut Idling for 2 hours(totally forgot about it) When I came back we were all laughing at where I had parked and left her.

5. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

My comments aren't met as negative ones. But, you're not going to get more power from a 6.2 diesel as compared to a 350 gas. It's also going to be more difficult to work on an maintain unless you've got some diesel experience and tools. I was a diesel mechanic in a truck and tractor shop when GM came out with their first diesels - in the mid 70s with the Oldsmobile based 350 diesels, and later - first year 82 when the new 6.2 came out designed by Detroit Diesel Co. for GM. We wound up doing service work for a local Chevy dealer -because at the time their own mechanics were not experienced with diesels.
    A typical stock gas 350 will have around 200 HP (4000 RPM) and 300 lbs torque (2400 RPM). A 305 gas around 170 horse and 260 lbs. of torque. A 6.2 diesel in naturally aspirated form (no turbo) has around 130 horse at 3600 RPM and 240 ft. lbs. of torque at 2000 RPM. Put a turbo on the 6.2 and horse will be upped to about 190 if you do it safely. The 6.2 has a higher-compression ratio than later engines meant for turborcharging - so boost needs to be limited to 10 PSI - unless you install lower-compression pistons.
    A 6.2 diesel will be comparible to a 305 gas in overall power and pulling - but the diesel will be more consistent and power throughout the RPM range. Fuel mileage will average around 20 MPG plus on the highway if the RPMs are kept under 2000 RPM. Average daily driving more like 16 MPG.
    The diesel, though, will run a feel different than a gas engine. And, if cared for will last longer. I own many and have driven them for years - with a lot of trailer pulling. The main caution I'll mention is cylinder head temps. If you do a lot of hard low-RPM pulling - mudbogging, whatever - the heads can get very hot and crack - unlike a gas engine. That being said, one of my tow vehicles made it over 500,000 miles before the crank blew to pieces and two main-bearing webs pulled out of the block.

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

deisels are slower

7. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

The few times I've wheeled my '98 dodge w/cummins and nv4500 was great. that being said when wheeler has a BBC and a manual valvebody th400.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Be carefull blatently using that statement....:p:

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

with the banks turbo a couple other small mods, the 6.2 can push 245hp and 420tq at the wheels, while thats not incredible in this day and age, but i dont think it would be slow. granted its nothing compared to the newer diesels, its still a route i plan to go.

10. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The 6.2, even though it's light for a diesel, still weighs about 300 lbs. more than a SBC. Weight means a lot when your wheelin'.

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My $.02 worth?

They smell funny...................:wink1:

12. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

heavy?

13. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

yeah id liek to put a turbo in mine in not too long... the banks is a bit expensive though... what other mods are you goin for?

i run an 83 6.2 and love it. great gas mileage...for a truck of its size. power isnt bad, hauled my buddies stock bronco four miles into town once when we were mudding and his starter took a s**t. i would love to run a turbo though... :bow: :bow:

14. tRustyK5

dressed small block weight figures I have been able to find note weight at between 575 lbs and 600 lbs.

Dug this up from our own diesel forum and have no reason to doubt the source.

This puts the 6.2's weight somewhere between a big block and a small block. A 6BT does weigh 300 or more lbs over a small block though (~1000 lbs)

Rene

15. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

No a dressed 6bt for a dodge is in the 1200lb ballpark

16. tRustyK5

Worse yet (not the motor, just the weight)

Rene

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well considering you are getting all the parts with the banks kit, its really not that bad of a deal.

18. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have a 6.2 and have yet to wheel it till next week. I will give you a report upon return from Moab:)