Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

are there ANY performance parts for the 6.2?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by muddybuddy, Jun 19, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im most likely goin to be swappin in a 6.2 into my k5 and was wondering if there are any decent performance parts out therre for it? i know there was an article in a 4wd mag bout the banks turbo for it or something, but i missed that issue:doah: is there anything else out there like headers/manifolds, intake in addition to the turbo?

while i have the motor out of the truck, i think it would be a good time to put some new parts onto it before it gets into the engine bay and its hard to get to stuff with a socket.

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

The Banks is the biggest improvement about $2K. Used on eBay about $1K to $1.2K. You can change the Timing chain to gears under $400 but they are noisy. If you want to pull the heads change the head bolts to ARP studs. Make sure you are using a diesel radiator (4 core) Trans Cooler, Oil Cooler. That's pretty much the basics I can think of. Check out The Diesel Place. They have a 6.2 forum.

3. muddybuddy

i dont really care that much bout noise, im wanting to run dual 3". i know it wont be a race car, but i want to squeeze as much power out of it as possible

4. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have been wondering the same thing, especially with the heads since I have heard they are notoriously weak and are the weak link to more power. I saw a movie and site where a fellow machined or remachined his own heads and was supposedly able to run his 6.2 up to 5500 rpm. It was posted either here or on the dieselplace board, but was it was a movie about a guy that used the motor in a sled pulling tractor...come to think about it he also had a trick dual injections pumps with cog pulleys on the front of them.....would definitely like to pick his brain. Anyone have any info on his setup? I couldnt find anything except some pics and movies.

Remington

5. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I read somewherz that 2.5" is best for duals or, at least, where performance gains drop off. If you are planning duals then are you going to forgo a turbo? Maybe dual turbos:eek1::eek1: :bow:

6. muddybuddy

well eventually i think id get a turbo, but i would look into some other turbo, $2k is alot for the banks. if i do swap in the 6.2, i want to be able to get as much power out of it as possible, so its not as sluggish :)

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

The banks is a complete system, air intake, exhaust, turbo, maniflods. that and a j code manifold (which a military truck should have...) Dont run dual 3, thats way too much. the banks kit only has a single 3 or 3.5: , its all thats needed...

8. linksvu

linksvu Registered Member

My Jimmy has the banks and single 3", works great. It is quicker than any stock 350 k5 as well! You can turn the pump up a bit, but not if you emissions; I have to turn it down to pass and back up (sometimes) afterwards. There was an article in 4wheel awhile back about a guy that twin-turbo'd his CUCV 6.2....not sure if it is worth it.

If you are not too late, what about swapping in a 6.5? Even the NA 6.5 can be powerful...

9. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The heads and turbo set up off a 6.5 fit a 6.2. The heads flow better and the turbo is only a little less power than the Banks.

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

FWIW, the prechambers from the 6.5 and the 6.5 turbo can be swapped into 6.2 heads. I couldn't see much other difference between the two (6.2 & 6.5) heads even the valves where the same size.

11. linksvu

linksvu Registered Member

It is really worth the effort than to make the swap? Might be better off going for the entire 6.5 conversion...

12. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Well the prechambers were like $25.00 each :eek1: (PN 10230426 for the 6.5, I can't find the number for the 6.5 turbo). Not cheap, but I had nice (no cracks) pair of 6.2 heads... If I had a pair of 6.5 heads I would have used those :D

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I thought 6.5 heads had bigger valves, is that not true, just the prechambers?