Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are there springs behind front D60 hubs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Jul 22, 2006.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if there are any springs behind the hubs on D60's to keep tension on the axle shaft? I don't have any springs in mine and my hubs are always full of water. I just put close to $100 in bearings, races and seals in my hubs and I'd rather not have them wasted on my first water crossing because I'm missing some $10 springs had I known they belonged there. If there are springs, can you post the part number or a site/ place that stocks them? TIA -Rob

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

OE Spicer locking hubs will have springs but they are they for hub operation, not tension on the stub axle. There should be a snap ring in the groove about a 1/2" from the outboard end of the stub, this holds tension on the stub axle to pull it up tight against the spindle.

Are you sure the small rubber seals next to the inner spindle bearing (NOT inner wheel bearing) are good? If so, could they be installed backwards?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

only springs in there would be for factory drive flanges.

4. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

nope. nada no springs. you can always shim the stub shaft to make sure it's tight by either stamping some out of some stainless shimstock or if there's enough room use some thin washers under the snap-ring.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I was reading up on the drive flanges and saw that they used springs. I'm thinking my problem was just the inner wheel bearing seal and I've replaced those. The axle seal on the stub shaft is in good condition. Hopefully no more water gets in my hubs this year. If it still does I'll have to start pulling my hubs after every trip with a water crossing. :doah:

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There are 3 different seals on the front hub/rotor assembly. You have the large wheel bearing seal in the rotor, then there is a large lip seal that goes over the inside of the stub axle around the slinger, then there is a small lip seal that goes into the spindle just after the spindle bearing. As was said you should have a small C-clip holding tension against the stub axle on the end of the axle after the first portion of the locking hub is installed.

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Where would you shim to take up slack on the stub axle? I changed out the thrust washer (and other seals of course) but still have a little more movement in the passenger side axle than I would like to see.

8. 4X4HIGH

If you need to shim you would install shims before installing the C-clip.

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the c-clip inside the hub? I was under the impression that you could add a thin shim next to the thrust washer to tighten things up.

10. 4X4HIGH

If you add shims behind the thrust washer you are going to pull the axle inboard and make matters worse. The shims would need to go over the stub axle just before you install the small C-clip[ on the end of the axle. This will pull the axle outboard so that the seals on the inside will mate tightly against the spindle so as to keep water and dirt out.

11. FWP

FWP CRS

Another area to check out, 2 O-rings on each lockout, one for the seal against the hub, and one for the dial to lockout cap.

Edit- for the Spicer's. I forget what the Warn's have in the dial to body.