Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

are these axles worth anything

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highlow, Dec 28, 2004.

1. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

The axles I went and looked at were not the dana 60's like I had hoped. Instead they were a corporate 10 bolt and a 14 bolt the small one. So are these worth getting for my stock axled blazer? Also I see you guys write 14bolt ff or 14 bolt sf, what does the ff and sf stand for? Also pretty sure they came out of a 89-91 suburban

EAT BEEF

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The worth somethign if you or someone who wants to buy them can use them.. :p:

The 10 bolt front is basically the same as your 10bolt(or 44 if you thats what you have) except it has 8 lug outers. And also, if these are from an 89+ Sub, then the 10 bolt will be a 30 spline version...

The 14SF is stronger than a 12 bolt, but not as strong as a 14FF. Still a nice upgrade from a 10 or 12 bolt rear though! They has 33 spline shafts...

The SF means "semi-floater". This means that the axleshaft itself holds the weight of that corner as well as the torque forces applied to the shaft to get the vehicle moving. Only thing hold in a SF axleshaft is either c-clips inside the differential or a pressed on bearing. GM axles are mostly C-clip axles and the 10, 12 and 14SF are all c-clip axles. If the shaft breaks, it will come out of the housings.

The FF means "full floater".. This means the weight of the vehicle rides on the bearings and bearing hubs. The axleshaft only see the torque forces applied ot the shaft to get the vehicle moving and the shaft has to handle no weight of the vehicle. These are held in by bolts on the end of the shaft hat that bolt to the outter hub... If the shaft breaks, you can still drive the vehicle as the weight rides on the bearings/hubs and not the shaft.

HTH!

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I would hold off myself. The front is not anything really better, as was already said. And the rear, I wouldnt get just because you can get FF 14bolts for pretty cheap.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

How much are they? If they're super cheap then I'd say it's worth it simply because they probably have a better ratio than you currently have (be sure to check that). If they're several hundred then I'd hold out for a combo that at least had a 14FF instead of the SF. Ideally, most people would want hold out for a D60 front end but it all depends on what you are willing and have to spend.

Remember, you will also have to factor in the cost of new 8 lug wheels and possible rear d-shafts mods too.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah they have to be better ratio than 2.73 for sure

id take an SF 14 over a 2.73 or 3.07 anything as long as the 14 isnt a gov lok one

i run fast away from gov lok anything

i need to find something bigger and better geared to replace my 2.73 10 bolt with under my 84

cant fnd anything these days now, all gone

good luck

6. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info guys

EAT BEEF

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Very true, I didnt think about that. Could be a cheaper way to regear.