Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are these good winches? (not wenches)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sublmnl1990, Nov 30, 2004.

1. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

2. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I have a warn 8274 & M12000. I would'nt trade them for anything else. They are great working winches. As for the milemarkers I've heard a lot of people having problems with them. You get what you pay for.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have one and I like it.Good deal with the roller fairlead.Its fairly slow but with a snatch block it will get you out of just about anything.Mine hasnt let me down yet.Im sure some people will post up and say its the same as a piece of crap Harbor Freight model but they only look the same.They are different.

True you get what you pay for but its hard for me to justify hanging a $1000 on my front bumper that I dont even use once a year /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have one and I like it.Good deal with the roller fairlead.Its fairly slow but with a snatch block it will get you out of just about anything.Mine hasnt let me down yet.Im sure some people will post up and say its the same as a piece of crap Harbor Freight model but they only look the same.They are different.

True you get what you pay for but its hard for me to justify hanging a $1000 on my front bumper that I dont even use once a year /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you...I have an old warn 8k winch I bought for a $100. After I replace the line and electrical connections I will be at $400! I should have just bought a MM. $400 is not that much try it out. They have a 2yr warranty also, I think /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I think your Warn will be a better winch when its all said and done.

But for $400 the MM is better than no winch at all. I think for the average wheeler who doesn't go out every weekend they should hold up ok.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ask tim , i dont think his really held up.

i would love to grab a winch for cheap but i dont want it to ever fail on me. a mm seems ready to though /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

This an informative post about MM winches & TMaxx winches. They are both in the same price range.

After reading the link to Pirate4x4 about the T-Maxx, I'll get one of those. I'll get a Warn if I can get a good price on a decent used one. Otherwise if I buy a new one it will probably be a T-Maxx. JEG's carries the T-Maxx also.

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his was a 10 or 12k and I think I read somewhere he got the cable bound up between the drum and his winch plate or something and thats what did it in.Not realy the winches fault if thats the case.

9. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

what about mile markers hydrolic winches? are those junky as well? i really want one, or i might go with a hydrolic winch from a tow truck.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his was a 10 or 12k and I think I read somewhere he got the cable bound up between the drum and his winch plate or something and thats what did it in.Not realy the winches fault if thats the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also stalled in the mud pit at RTC. These things are hunks of made in China crap.

AS stated above, you get what you pay for, and nothing more with these things.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    what about mile markers hydrolic winches? are those junky as well? i really want one, or i might go with a hydrolic winch from a tow truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, they're great, that's why I don't understand why Milemarker used their name on such POS's as their electrics.

12. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i have a mile marker 12k hydraulic winch on my k5 and it works really well until i broke off one of the tabs that change gears. its about 5 years old but it still work well and when i get that tab back ill have low its pulled me out of everything but it has also managed to kill my power steering. it whines like a banshee now all the time and it leaks. if u get a hydraulic one u might want to consider buy a higher capicity pump or just a new pump and maybe check all ur seals on ur steering box. my truck came with it so im happy with it but id like to get ahold of a warn 15k winch for my offroad truck so i can have front and rear winches

13. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

For the casual user, a milemarker might work out OK. But I have to strongly agree with the others that you get what you pay for. I would find a used warn before a new milemarker. I've got two Warn winches (8274 & xd9000i). You just can't go wrong with a Warn. I'd probably go with a Ramsey before a milemarker. Just my 2 cents worth.

14. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Ditto,ditto,ditto, been reading up on this question...Warn or Ramsey, you get what you pay for :thumb: :usaflag: