Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are tie rod ends and drag link ends a standard size?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Jul 14, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Are the tapered ends of a tie rod or a drag link a standard size similar to the series of u-joints? Is the taper and length a standard? Or do the manufacturers use what ever size is required and then it's never used again? I'm just wondering because I am thinking about swapping some parts involving different years and brands.

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You would get more responses if you were more specific about what you are wanting to swap around.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A lot of variables..

They are not "standard"--most are vehicle specific..Tie rods and draglink ends are often a weird thread and size,like 11/16,and the taper changes from one vehicle to the next..most GM parts are "swappable",but if your mixing dodge parts or ford stuff its likely they will be different..

If you can get your hands on a MOOG catolouge with a "Buyers Guide" and an illustrated numerical listing in the back of the catolog,it will have the sizes,threads,and taper listed next to the part numbers..but they are getting rare as hens teeth!..

.If I had a brain cell I would have taken ALL the catologs that my friend threw out when his buisness was sold.. :doah: --but I dont have much room for them either--the info in those books can be priceless sometimes,like when you need coil springs not listed anymore,or ones a bit taller to lift a vehicle--you can look them up by size and spring rate in that section of the book.. :crazy:

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have two seperate projects:

1.) Put a 1979 Ford 1/2 ton tie rod into Chevy 10 bolt knuckles on a Ford D44 hi pinion.

2.) Make a drag link to connect the pitman arm of a 1995 C1500 to a Sky D44 crossover steering arm on a Chevy 10 bolt.

:wink1:

5. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Ford went to a metric sized hole much earlier then chevy did. I would try to use chevy ends on that tie rod.

For the draglink, I would see if a stock IFS tierod end would fit into the pitman arm. Then use a standard older chevy end for the steering arm.

I know...not part numbers like you hoped...
    Blake

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

this is why im glad i have a napa chassis book, and some other books from stores that they toss out now and then

if you go into napa and leave name and number they will save you their stuff when they replace them,

they show all the dimensions and parts numbers of the chassis and steering parts including ball joints and TRE's and such
    its good stuff :D

good luck