Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARE WHEEL BEARING RACES SUPPOSED TO MOVE?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by purple89jimmy, Oct 7, 2001.

1. purple89jimmy

purple89jimmy Registered Member

Please help. I am repacking my front wheel bearings when I noticed that the inner race on the front driver side spins inside the wheel, but the outer one does not. I tapped it out and looked at it, but it doesn't appear to be damged or worn in any way. Please respond, my buddy said that I would have to but a new rotor. I have my front tore apart and I am awaiting your guy's input before I make any decisions to buy a new rotor or put in a new race. We measured the outside of the old race and a new one and they are the same, ie no wear on the outside of the old race. It is an 89 10 bolt

2. scooby

scooby Registered Member

no they are not supoesed to move replace it.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

No they are not suppose to move. You can try to make the race stick by taking a punch and hitting the rotor where the race is suppose to stick. The punch marks wil make little high spots so the race can grab onto them. Make between 10 and 15 all the way around. If that doesnt work then you will have to buy a new rotor.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. scooby

scooby Registered Member

if the rotor surface is not damaged, you dont need to replace the entire rotor , what u need to do is replace the race they are sold induvidualy. please do not use a punch to put " high spots" this will only cause u probs down the road.

" use the right tool for the job"

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Using a punch is no problem. Go take a look at any of the shops out there. Thats what they do to make sure the races stick. But I personally wouldn't do it if the race can spin. That is too loose. But it would get you by in a pinch. You can try a new race, but if that doent work then you need a new rotor.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. scooby

scooby Registered Member

desert,

you are 110% corect :))

darn were good :))

" the thicker the mud, the slower u sink "

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i must be slow
    what kind of vehicle are we working on?
    if it is a 4x4 the rotor should be fine.
    the HUB sounds pooched

8. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

The races are in the hub, the rotor goes on the hub. Buy a new hub or pick one up at a salvge yard. The rotor is held to the hub by the wheel studs, if you buy a rotor it won't solve your problem. Absolutely replace, it is not safe driving with that race spinning in the hub!

78-K5 4"Lift 35"Tires 400SB TH350 NP205
    73 Vega 350SB TH350

9. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

The races are in the hub, the rotor goes on the hub. Buy a new hub or pick one up at a salvge yard. The rotor is held to the hub by the wheel studs, if you buy a rotor it won't solve your problem. Absolutely replace, it is not safe driving with that race spinning in the hub!

78-K5 4"Lift 35"Tires 400SB TH350 NP205
    73 Vega 350SB TH350

10. purple89jimmy

purple89jimmy Registered Member

Well I punched the race race journals and the races seemed to stick. I just put in timken bearings and races so maybe that will hold me till somebody sells me a 14bff/D60 combo. Thanks for your advice you guys are great.