Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are you a Daystar supplier?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by rampage, Aug 6, 2003.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I was just rereading the 9/03 issue of Off-Road and noticed that Daystar offers greasable bushings. They look surprisingly similar to the ones you offer. I know that you get your bushings from them so I was wondering if they are getting the crossdrilled bolts from you and repackaging them, or aren't you allowed to comment on that. Just wondering. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We use Daystar bushings but that's about it. A lot (all as far as I know) of their bushing kits use Gr5 bolts and we've gone away from those to use GR8 bolts, and their front shackle kits for the GM use a 7/16" bolt still, which obviously won't work very well. We've also monkey'd around with the hole sizes a little and are currently looking at bolt quality from our suppliers to get into some better hardware. We haven't had many problems but we don't mind having better quality parts either.

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Maybe I should rephrase that. In the article they show bushings, grade 8 center drilled bolts with zerk fittings, cross drilled bushing sleeves, and they nylock nuts. They say these are made by Daystar but they look strikingly similar to yours. That just made me wonder if you were selling the cross drilled bolts to Daystar since you were getting the bushings from them or if they copied the ones you made.
    I've already bought my greasable bushings from you so I'm not trying to figure out who has the best product or customer service. That's a no brainer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    BTW, I hope you recieved the t-case mount spacers that I forgot to send back.

4. Stephen

Which mag are you looking at and where in it? I'd be surprised if they have a GR8 bolt, but otherwise the hardware is probably very similar. We did go to a pinchlock nut with the GR8 bolt instead of a nylock. We started out using their stuff, just shuffled around to fit our application, but like all things, we couldn't leave it alone.

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

It's the 9/03 issue of OFF-ROAD on page 62 ('Suspension Tuner's Guide' article). They say they're grade 8 but then again they have been known to misprint info before. Maybe they found out also that grade 5 bolts weren't the correct bolts and upgraded as well.

6. Stephen

I just checked it out, they're GR5 bolts, you can see the headstamp on one of them.

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Sure enough, on pg 64 I see that the one that's installed is a grade 5. Good eye, mate /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    So it's just another misprint from the folks at Off-Road. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif