Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

are you kidding?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reaper450, Mar 23, 2007.

1. reaper450

reaper450 Registered Member

Started kicking around the idea of putting on my body lift the other day, so today I go out to look at where the body mount bolts are located at. Found the back two pretty easily, they come right up through the bed, and the front two are easy as well, but where the heck are the two sets in the cab? I got to thinkin that when I replaced the floors i never saw the bolts through the floor pan so I hate to ask... :crazy: are they under the floor in the brace that runs across the floor? And if they are is there any way of getting the bolts out without cutting the floor board? :confused:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The front cab ones as I recall, are "captured", they use those e-clips that tend to rust out. :(

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

few problems here. first what are you working on? blazer / pickup / burban? and what year vehicle?

second you need to look under the truck and see that the 4 main bolts for the cab on atleast a pickup truck feed up threw to the body. then the 2 frt coresupport bolts are feed down threw the support and have a nut holding the bottom side. this will require the grill to be removed.

the nuts arnt speed nuts. thay are big square nuts almost 1/2 inch thick and are captured by to big tabs folded over in the body support area. if you need to ever get acsess to the nuts you will need to cut threw the floor and the inner floor in that area. i had to do this its no big deal. just measure twice and cut hole once. then when done tack weld the piece back over it.

this is not as bad as it sounds. but if you have a good amount of rust or thay use lots of salt in the winter time on the roads. best start spraying the stuff with real goot penitrent lube like p.b. blaster or other. but not liquid wrench or wd-40 thay just lube. you need a "walking" penitrent lube rust buster.

hope this helps and gve us some more info to help you better.

4. reaper450

it's an 82 k5 blazer. So the cab bolts just unbolt unless the tab is rusted, at which point you have to cut through the floor to get the nut out. Am I reading this right?

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

YES.

every older truck I have done a body lift or bushings on I have had to cut into the floor. It's not a big deal. I dont even measure anymore. if you can't see where to cut from the welds on the floor you can give the floor a good whack with a big hammer in approximately where you need to be and the pocket will reveal itself.

6. reaper450

see, thats kind of what i want to avoid considering I just put a new floor in it not 5 months ago. So if I don't have to cut I'd rather not. Also, The kit came with a pin to extend the shift linkage. Are they talking about the actual shifter, or the rod that goes from the tranny to the t-case? Or something altogether different? Thanks for the help guys.

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the column shift linkage may need to be extended if there is not enough rod left to adjust for the body lift. how high are you going?

the linkage for the t-case should have enough to only adjust it. the rod is mounted horizontally so the height change does not have as big an affect on it.

8. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

this is the drivers side then 2 in radiator and 4 in the bed

1988 chevy blazer 011.jpg

1988 chevy blazer 028.jpg

9. reaper450

it's goin up 3". Went out and dug around on it a little more and found and obstacle. One of the very back bolts is pulled up into the bushing, the best way to fix this is by just grinding the top of the bolt off and pushing it through the opposite way right? It's in there far enough that you can't get a wrench on it.
    Is the rod that needs lengthened the one between the clutch pedal and the clutch fork. And if it helps in your answers of what to do I do have complete access to a welding/machine shop with the knowledge to do it, so the possibilities are endless... at least i hope...

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you need to slot the hole in the flor and lengthen that rod from the pedel in the cab to the z bar on the frame rail to block piviot. most guys use threaded rod and make a new one so its fully adjustable for fine tuning the system.