Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are You Ready for DIXIE?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Depdog, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, it was one hell of a night, um err morning, well hell, two days or a constant 12 hours.

Started with a phone call to a bud that has gone with me to Tellico twice, he has never wheeled a 4x4, but we been friends for a long time and he helps me wrench from time to time. So anyway, call him up on Saturday, (it rained all freeking Friday, Saturday and half of Sunday) he agrees to come help me test fit the 14 bolt now that I have the spring perches tacked on. Ends up being Sunday afternoon before we can try it cause of the rain. His tranny blows coming out of his driveway and he says I will have to come get him if I want help, so away I go. We get back at my house about 4 p.m. and commence to working. We get the 14 bolt manhandled out under the K5 (its about 30 feet from my work shed, yes shed I dont have a garage or a concrete driveway.) So were working in the wet grass with nice soggy ground. The K5 is sitting on two jackstands and a floor jack that is now about 4" in the dirt. Get it under there and use the ubolts to pull it up into place. AWESOME, it fits, so I know my spot welds will hold it, we jack it up in stages with some other jack stands till we can get the 39.5's on her. Get em on, pull the rear driveshaft off and lock the front hubs. Friggen battery is dead as a hammer, so the old Taraus is pulled into the back yard for a jump start. Wow, nice tire tracks! Ewewe goowy... Get the pig fired off and backed up to the shed, weld the spring perches fully, he says whats next, so I say shock mounts, we do them, he says whats next ( I was not expecting to get this much done, since he has to get his truck to the shop in the morning and then go to work in Atlanta) we have 4 pieces of 4x4 plywood and two 3x3 rubber mats were moving all over to keep from sinking in the goo and getting soaked as well as muddy. To make this getting long story short. We (thanks Clint) tore the 14 bolt apart and checke the brakes and axle shafts breaking one of the axle shaft bolts off in the hub, drilling and using a big screw extractor to get it out THANK GOD. Got that fixed and the brakes are cool (had to go to town to get some damn brake cleaner I ran out) Put in new parking brake cables. Cleaned painted the spring mounts and top plates, replaces the ubolts with good uns and nice lock nuts. Put in conversion ujoint to use the rear drive shaft... And the list goes on and on. But basically at 4 a.m. this morning we tood it for a test drive. All of this was almost for naught. Got a BAD death wobble at 30 mph in the neighborhood, ever seen a K5 become 20 foot wide and take up the WHOLE road. Sheiaat was that a handful, talk about sucking up a seat cushion! Got it back to the house, find the stock tie rod that is on the D60 is SHOT the hell out! Slap on the RockRod and that cures the death wobble. Really gets to bouncing at about 60 to 70 mph, so I need to drive it for a few miles to warm up the tires and get em good and round, then see how it does, may have to add some more bb's inside the tires for better balance.

All in all it was a 13 hour night and we left quite a few floorjack holes in the yard. Got tired of diggin the damn thing out to jack up one tire at a time. I gotta get my driveway concreted. Working in the gravel driveway and the grass is really starting to suck. I do have about 3 feet of clearance between the ground and the transfer case skid plate now /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

D 60 is rebuilt with Detroit and 35 spline stubs, forged ujoints and Warn Hubs. 14 bolt is cleaned new shock mounts and spring perches. Both are mounted with shocks and driveshafts attached. The major stuff is done for Dixie, now its time to attack the fenders again and get a longer damn steering arm.

How is everybody else coming along?

Depdog

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well I'm getting paid today, so that means TopOff will get his money for the clutch parts, and I can buy some more parts for my stock blazer. When the stocker is running, I'll finally be able to park the orange one and start to work on it. If nothing else, I'll kick it up there with 40's and an Automatic /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . It's gonna be a mad dash to get it ready by Dixie. Gotta buy gears and all that great stuff.

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Diesel- ready
    Trailer-ready
    Jimmy- *ready*-it can go as it sits, but I still need to install F250 shock mounts and long shocks (both will be here weds), cut some more sheet metal, flip my rear overlaod, install my new racing seats and harnesses.

None of this is really *has-to-be* done stuff, I already did all of that, its stuff i really want to get done.

Oh yeah, I found out I am on recall the 23-29th of sept so
    I am good to go Militiary wise!!!!!

rob

4. Depdog

Cool, I look forward to seeing yall again. Trail 9 is TOAST!

Depdog

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I haven't acomplished hardly anything with my Blazer this summer. Had an unexpected expence of moving the house. There went over $5,000.00 that I could have put into the Blazer. All I got done was a 6" suspension lift, and little things like blacking out the grill and crome around headlights. Money is just too damn tight to really do anything I want. Planning on taking it into a community college for the students to do the body work. Hopefully they'll be willing to work on a old 76.

6. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!

You are too funny Glenn! My truck is nowhere near ready to go. There are going to be many long nights between now and then. You have already heard my list of things needing to be done! When were you planning on coming over to help?? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Mike

7. Depdog

Dude, I still got stuff to do, but feel most of the major hurdles are how accomplished. Now I got some tweaking and fender trimmin to do. Work on the inside, regular maintence, still gotta get some bolts for the rear axle and some other stuff. Gotta get a longer steering arm too. Thats about 4 or 5 12 to 14 hour days in the last two weeks on the old beast. Feels good to be able to drive it.

Keith needs to get busy, so do you lol.

Depdog /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    K5 is sitting on two jackstands and a floor jack that is now about 4" in the dirt

[/ QUOTE ] jeeze makes me glad i got my little concrete pad to work on. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Well since I just bought all this new junk (M1008) the '73 is going the way it is. All I'm going to do is put the doors &amp; top on. See you there.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

No doubt! Makes me thankfull for my not so level and somewhat broken up asphalt driveway. I have a garage but the truck is too tall to fit in it. Even when it fit in you couldnt walk around it easy.
    Well I did get my carb in yesterday. Need to put in the better part time kit. Would like to do some work on the redneck camper trailer but it's good enough to go as is. Would like to try to get the disc brakes rears on but I'm a little scared for a test run to be Dixie run. I would like a little time to work the bugs out plus I still need to buy a line lock and get the hoses made. I may just leave that till after Dixie Run. Have to see where I am after Saturday. See if my bud with the drill press and press has time for me to come over and get the axles ready for new set up. I know what I have on it right now works so not pressed to get into this right now.
    Need to put the Warn shafts in the front and check the ball joints while it's down that far. Throw in some fresh plugs and retune the new carb.
    The rest is "wants" and not "have too's".
    After all the cussing with the carb yesterday I figured I would be spending the next few mornings getting the electric choke set right....Nope....one tap of the gas this morning and fired right up! Need to give just a hair more of cold idle screw and I'll be happy with it. I do need to get the power for the choke wired in correctly. Just have the wire jammed in the plug for the distributor. Hope this cures my Nose up stall issue.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohh yeah. I need to get my SQUARE slider extensions made /forums/images/icons/smile.gif LOL See if I can keep whats left of my fenders on it.

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What I'm thinking I'm gonna do is postpone the tranny swap and just run the 40's with the 700. That'll ease some stress on me. At least I know how to drive the auto worth a flip. So that leaves me with gears and doing the 8-lug swap. Might even leave the 8" kit on there for the time being.

13. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Feels good to be able to drive it.

[/ QUOTE ]

four solid weeks of crawling up, over, and under the k5, i went for my first test drive sunday afternoon...make sure all brake line fittings are TIGHT...and you have used correct front output seal on t-case(kit comes with 20!).../forums/images/icons/crazy.gif otherwise, everything is looking good...need front d-shaft, winch and cd player...tellico here we come.

14. Depdog

Hey, mine are SQUARE, I like em. If you buy some tube and can come down and help move the bed off the CUCV, there should be enough room to bend!

I can help you weld up the square ones if ya want

Depdog /forums/images/icons/grin.gif