Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Are you "Safe" when your wheeling?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, May 15, 2001.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Are you \"Safe\" when your wheeling?

Ok it has been a while since daddy Grim has got on a rant. As the title says it is about safety.
    The club I run with http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Re: Are you \"Safe\" when your wheeling?

hey, great post... I think all of us could use a LOT more safety precautions regardless of how safe we are! [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Good stuff Grim, thanks for the reminders. May save us all some grief, I know I've been guilty of being lazy and complacent a few times too.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Good post. I remember a few times were after words you sit back and think that was kinda stupid to be doing that. Safty should be first....Dan

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Re: Are you "Safe" when your wheeling?

thanx for the reality check grimmy.this can be a dangerous hobby.we all need to remember that.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

6. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim. Well done as usual. As a Registered Safety Professional, thought I'd add a couple of thoughts.

Our key to preventing accidents is many fold. However, in the off-roading genre, PLANNING is our best defense. Packing for your trip must take the terrain into consideration. Then, if you didn't pack pack the right thing for the task, think!

Don't rush through anything. Don't panic. Human behavior is responsible for roughly 90% of all accidents. THINK BEFORE YOU ACT. How? Look at your situation. Ask: How do we do this, step by step? With each step, ask what are the hazards. Eliminate or mitigate them. Then execute withoute haste.

Happy Trails,
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>
    Forever missing Dale Earnhardt, who drove over more Fords than we could ever dream of

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Got it!

Twiztid

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man, I read it once, post, came back and read it AGAIN! [​IMG] this seemed to have even more impact the second time! [​IMG]

I was in a head on w/ 2 cars at 55 in 87, and I should have NEVER lived through it! needless to say I am fairly safety concious, but I'm sure we all get in comfort zones that we should not.

probably the thing that scares me the most is carbon monoxide, and this is often overlooked!

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

haveing my Dad lead up the search and rescue unit in my county i get a lot of this and everytime Hear of safty with "off-road vechiles" i learn more and more i know i have over 180 hours into tranning for search and rescue i still see even the oldest rescuers make mistasks This is great post and if you do get in stick spot with a roll over or what ever is think of your safty frist no sence makeing 2 victums so worry about your self figure a way to keep your self safe and get the other person to safety it might take a little long but not near as long i as it will if you get hurt your self

Bandit aka AJ
    Ahh look at that cute little jeep i think my 3yr old niece has one like that KNOW MOVE IT OUT OF THE WAY!

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok...stupid question, what is a come along? I keep hearing about them but never have actually have seen one. Or maybe I have and just didn't know that is what it was? So can you clue me in here to what it is and what exactly it does since this is a very new thing for me. Thanks! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

11. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

its kinda like a winch. it has a short peice of cable on one side. mine has it duobled up with a hook on it. and the other side has alot of cable. and in the middle it is a ratcheting thing that pulls the long cable onto a spull. on the spull it lock into place so that the cable will not pull back off the spull. basicly its a winch but more portable and powerd by you not a motor

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I remember an article a year or three ago showing a Jeep that had rolled. It was still upside down and EVERYTHING was still in place. I was impressed.
    That got me thinking about the way I secured things. Relying on bungees and the weight of the item wil not work. Tools, tires, jacks, and coolers need to be secured ratchet straps or hard mounted. This includes things like shackels and chains, too. I limit the use of bungees to things like sleeping bags and jumper cables. Also, remember to retie things you use on the trail. This past weekend I had to get in my tool box a few times and although it was a pain I tied it all down each time. Make it a rule for your self, I don't think anyone will mind. One last thing, if you tie things down logicaly it won't be as hard to get to things, then when you're done it will make resecuring your gear easy.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

few long post but worth the time to read it!!
    I too like to make it home after a wheelin trip! The best advise I have read in this post(all points are equaly important) it to STOP and THINK!! This not only works for offraoding but in life too!! I remember that post about that CK5 member that was working on his rig on a gravel coverd ground and the damn thing fell on him while laying underneath[​IMG].

One more thought! Save the heavy beer drinking for the camp fire! I love beer and I like to have a beer during the day on a trail while on a pit stop talkin and just hangin out but I leave it at that just A beer. Being drunk and wheelin will do one of two things Kill you or kill your rig, heck mabie both!
    .02c

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

14. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Have to make a point, here, danger can come at you in the oddest ways..example; A few years back at our annual informal 4-wheel-drive bash in the local trails we had a fair number of trucks parked down either side of an abandoned road with a slight grade to it. One clown had a rust-bucket K/5 that was so body-rotted that it would'nt always stay in Park. This genius had his friend park in front of him in case it popped out of Park..the friend left, the truck started rolling down and across the road and ran into the back bumper of my parked Blazer. Luckily, nobody was getting anything out of the back of mine at the time or they would have probably lost their legs at the knees! Did'nt occur to me till later...but if my truck had not stopped his from rolling that it would have kept going and run over my wife and I, drug us down the hill, and probably stopped right in a large bonfire!!!! I NOW keep my head on a swivel while out in the trails, even while camped!

"Why YES!..the Fast-lane was built just for YOU!! Because we all needed someone to drive slow and screw up traffic!!!!"

15. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Well said Grimmy. I've never been on anything serious cause I have not had a rig ready to do anything that puts it at angles. But I want to put in little hide-a-way hooks so I'll have places to tie things down. Saftey should always be first!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

16. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

THats a good reality check for everyone.....it's good to see that you care for otheres....I respect that man!!! and the gear thing....well i Jumped my truck once and I had my spare tire flt up in the air and come back dow crushing my lunch cooler like it was a card board box!! dam nice cooler to it was a Igloo!!

[​IMG]
    "You can talk the talk...but can you walk the walk?"

17. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Great post
    I think the biggest no no that we all do, myself included is not secure things down, I bet only 1 out of 50 trucks is prepared for a rollover (I know mine isn't).
    When I design my cage, I am going to have a place for the spare, tools/parts and cooler, if it isn't one of those three it will stay at camp.
    When I first started off-roading I was in Moab wheeling with the wife and it had been a long day and was getting late, as we came upon a hill (couldn't see what was on the other side) I was going to stop to see what was on the other side, my wife didn't want to stop and said keep going I'm sure it's fine (still remind her of this to this day) well, as I drove over the ledge it was steeper than we thought, so much that both my rear wheels came off the ground and we were headed for an endo (I'm not kidding, friends behind us were screaming thinking we were going over) I stepped on the gas to the floor and powered out of it with just a heavily stained seat. If I didn't have fuel injection I might not have made it, anyway, after this happened I realized that had I gone over my 100 pound 35" spare was just laying in the back at the time along with my heavy toolbox and cooler that would have fallen on our heads, not good. I get out and look to see whats ahead of me even if the people behind me get pissed, funny I never have forgotten that day.
    I plan on designing a real roll-cage that ties into the frame, with the weeling I do it is well worth the money for the safty
    I bet anyone that has been wheeling for a while has a similar safety story, we can all learn from them.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

18. blazerbum

blazerbum Registered Member

kudo's grim .

19. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

Re: Are you "Safe" when your wheeling?

Being a member of the Fort George Highway Rescue Society (http://www.highwayrescue.ca ) up here in Prince George exposes me to all kinds of accidents, both accidental and idiotic. We have been call out to extricate a man from a motor home who put the damn thing on cruise control and went in the back to grab himself a drink, I guess he figured the straight stretch of highway was long enough. It wasn't. Wound up rolling the damn thing into the ditch....friggin idiot could have crossed the center line and killed someone.

Also we were called to a logging truck that rolled down some switchbacks and he wound up getting killed because he had a 3lb ballpeen hammer under his seat and it went flying around and hit him in the temple, not a pretty sight.

So, keep everything secured - big and small.

Also, how many people know not to use cruise control in rain/snow/ice etc? Had a bad call a few weeks ago in regard to that, lady had cruise control on and went around a corner (at the speed limit) and the car wound up going over a bank and hitting a cattle culvert and cartwheeling a couple of times. Killed a seven year old boy. I talked to the RCMP and they said the cruise was still on and that is what caused the accident, before this I never knew not to use cruise control when it is raining. Doesn't matter anyhow as I don't have it on my blazer but now I know.

More stuff to think about.

Just keepin it Canadian[​IMG]

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah little things do get over looked. I have a big old steel under bed box (48 wide 18 tall and 20 deep) bolted to the floor of my truck that all my gear goes in both for security and safety. I have a couple Ammo boxes bolted down as well. It solved the majority of my stuff sliding around issues. It also made it a lot easier to access my gear since I don't have to unstrap. About the only thing I have to strap anymore is the cooler and Camping gear. Most of that comes out before the actual ride so even that is not a major concern.
    Stuff flying around is dangerous. When I was in high school a bud had a 72.5 Mach 1 mustang. He had his dad and girl friend in the car. They had a guy blow a stop sign and clip the rear of the car and ended up rolling. In the trunk was a small floor jack like K-Mart sells. That booger hit the back of the rear seat tore through it like nothing and the girl friend got a broken Arm and 2 broken ribs when it hit her. You never know when it could happen.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>