Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Arggg

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Grim-Reaper, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok I can't get here durring the day. I can get to some places but firewall catches CK5.
    So now I am stumped. I want to convert olf dollar BUT now it's looking like I need a tranny because of no Vac to drive the modulator. Not somthing I was counting on.

Also is the 6.2 a BOP or a Chevy bell housing pattern?

That's going to hold things up so now I'm having second thoughts. I needed this to go quick and cheep.

I have also ran across a 91 R20 6.2 burb with 92k that I might get for a decent price. did those have the 4l80?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the 6.2 uses a chevy bolt pattern.

the cucv uses a th400 and that needs vacuum to shift so im not sure how it does that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

i think it could have a 4l80e but not sure.

let me check my books and see what i can find on the vacuum modulator. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Not certain about the bell housing- I have 80% confidence that it is identical for the 700R4 and the 4l80E. I dont tihnk any other automatics were backed (other than 3 speeders) behind the 6.2 or the 6.5.

4. big83chevy4x4

in my book i have a listing for a mechanical modulator for the th400. so im guessing that what the diesels use. ill call my supplier tommorrow and see what they have for the th350 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

you never know they might have something for a th350 to a diesel /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

6.2's use a Chev bell pattern. My SM 465 bolted right up, plus the 6.2 dropped right into my sbc motor mounts.

The donor pig we had was a C30 pick-up. 6.2, TH400...that truck did not have AC but it did have a vacuum pump on the back of the motor. probably 90% or more 6.2's have the vacuum pump. My donor motor (not from the C30) was from a SM 465 truck without AC and has no vac pump at all...

I'm fairly certain the auto equipped trucks got a throttle position sensor on the injector pump and that is tied into vacuum somehow for proper shifting. The TH400 uses an electical kickdown mechanism, I'm unsure what the TH350 uses. If it's a cable then no big deal...

I suspect the R20 'burb would have a TH400, but I could be wrong.

Cheap and easy is a tough combination. The swap is easy enough...more elbow grease than rocket science, cheap is relative. It just really depends on the cost of the donor and it's condition. The more complete the donor the better and obviously the better shape all the peripherals are in the less it'll cost you.

My initial cost was $300 and my tired 350 for the 6.2 and 'supposedly' everything I'd need to do the swap. Once I got into it I quickly realized I needed a ton more stuff...but luckily a friend knew a guy getting rid of that C30.

The peripheral stuff nickeled and dimed me after the 6.2 was in. I ended up replacing the hydro-boost, alternator, starter, batteries, GP relay, new glow plugs and had the injector pump and injectors rebuilt...all in the first 3 months I had it together. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Overall, it was still cheaper than a rebuild and TBI swap, and still cheaper than doing a propane conversion would have been. Also, I get way better mileage than if I had gone with either of my two other options, so the more i drive it the more it is returning some of my initial investmant back to me.

If I had it to do again I would have spent a bit more on the donor, and probably would have come out farther ahead.

At any rate it runs like a dream now. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

6. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    in my book i have a listing for a mechanical modulator for the th400. so im guessing that what the diesels use. ill call my supplier tommorrow and see what they have for the th350 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

you never know they might have something for a th350 to a diesel /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! Yeah let me know. Modulator is a prtty simple deal and my bet is one for a TH400 is the same as one for a TH350 so that may just do the trick and let me run my good TH350.

7. Grim-Reaper

This is where I am lucky. I am getting the whole truck in one shot. So I am also getting the sound deadening stuff, electrical, fuel tank, lines and the cluster. This truck is rust free and a driver 5 months ago. Just doesn't have a tranny and it was a 2wd anyway. didn't even concider the tranny being a issue.

I like being different so I think it will be fun to have a oil burner 75 and roll to the trail getting 20mpg.

8. tRustyK5

The fuel lines and tank you don't need to swap. What I did was hooked up a 3 foot long piece of fuel line from the end of the hard line at the passenger motor mount...and fed that line into a Jerry can. I then applied a little compressed air into the tank from the filler neck (rag wrapped around the air blower) I'd give it a little blast of air until the fuel began to run and then let it off. I didn't want to get too much pressure inside the tank.

Once all I was getting was air I poured a couple of gallons of diesel into the tank and bled it out the same way into another jerry can...then called it good. I had just swapped in the tank and new lines a few months earlier though...didn't feel like doing all that again.

[ QUOTE ]
    I like being different so I think it will be fun to have a oil burner 75 and roll to the trail getting 20mpg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm right with ya on that one Eric...it's kind of fun to pull up to the filling station and start pumping diesel into an older truck. A few times now one of the guys will come running out screaming "That's diesel!!!!". My response is usually..."It better be diesel or I'll be pissed..."

They all assume it's a gasser, I guess in their minds there were no diesel's built before the CTD Dodge or something ./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Rene

9. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

You'll have no problem using the TH350 behind the 6.2L. While it was never offered from the factory to go behind the 6.2L, lots of people have swapped them in when replacing shot 700R4's.

For the life of me, I can't remember how to get around the vacuum problem. The TH400 does use a vacuum modulator mounted to the side of the injection pump to control shifts, but the 700 doesn't. The 700 has an electric TPS instead to help control TC lockup. It's not really needed when swapping in a 700.

Whether you need the vacuum modulator or not, I'm not sure. You might be able to just run a line directly from the vacuum pump to the tranny and see how it shifts. It might shift a bit sooner, but that may not be a big problem.

Casey

10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

If the sub is a '91 AND a 2500 series it will have the 4L80E.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This is where I am lucky. I am getting the whole truck in one shot. So I am also getting the sound deadening stuff, electrical, fuel tank, lines and the cluster. This truck is rust free and a driver 5 months ago. Just doesn't have a tranny and it was a 2wd anyway. didn't even concider the tranny being a issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well different is what I have, a perkins I6 TD in a 76 blazer, and I do get that "hey this is diesel" and I look at them like /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know.
    Then when I take off they know /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    I always have this thick cloud of smoke because my engine runs too cold, only when I push it on the highway does it warm up and clear the smoke.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. big83chevy4x4

ok i finally got a chance to call my supplier. the modulators are the same for the th400 and th350. so the mechanical modulator will work for the 350, but the price is $137 with your ck5 discount. it might be cheaper to go another route /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have also ran across a 91 R20 6.2 burb with 92k that I might get for a decent price. did those have the 4l80?

[/ QUOTE ]

For '91 it will either be a TH700 or a 4L80E. TH400 was not available anymore. Neither require vacuum.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For '91 it will either be a TH700 or a 4L80E. TH400 was not available anymore. Neither require vacuum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I am being too technical but it would be the 4l60E not the 700.
    Same tranny more E
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

4L60E started in '93.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    4L60E started in '93.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry my mistake.
    But then it would be the 4l60, right?
    I know that when the 4l80 started they changed the code to 4l60, the E came later when they added more E to it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. tRustyK5

700R-4, 4L60...same crap, different name. I maintain that GM's only reason for changing the name was because of the bad rep the 700R-4 had. It was cheaper to change the name than to fix all the prob's with the tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    700R-4, 4L60...same crap, different name. I maintain that GM's only reason for changing the name was because of the bad rep the 700R-4 had. It was cheaper to change the name than to fix all the prob's with the tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that.
    I am just trying to nit pick. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I still prefer the manual, or the 400/ 4l80
    Or even try the Allison if I get the chance.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Since we're fully and completely hijacked the thread... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The TH700 became the 4L60 in '88 when it received some significant upgrades.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/lee700r4-1.htm

I assume all the Hydramatics adopted their new names for the same year. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    significant upgrades.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Rene