Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Argghhh!! Just did the ball joints....Now what the hell is this NEW noise?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I replaced all my ball joints today. Checked, packed and tightened the wheel bearings. It is steering and handling great now. Fixed a bunch of handling issues. Now, when I drive down the road straight, and weave right and left a bit.....I get a clunk. A clunk when I turn left then another when I turn back right. Also happens when just makin slow speed turns...Ball joints and wheel bearings can be ruled out. I was thinkin maybe the spring u-bolts where loose? It feels like it's coming front just under and just in front of my feet. Any ideas what would make the front suspension make all the popping, cracking and clunkiing noises? Tommorrow I'll go and tackle this new issue with whatever info I get here. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well there are a bunch of things that I know of that could make that noise, and no you can't rule out what you already did because you had that noise right after.
    Well it happened to me once, the ball joints didn't have grease in them, I assumed that they were packed when I bought new ones, but when I packed them and bounced it around and repacked them it was fine.
    But if it's definitely not that, if you have driven it enough time with that clunking you should see marks somewhere.
    Check the shackles if they are hitting on the frame, bottoming out.
    Check the bushings if you tightened the bolts too much that could happen.
    Also check the sway bar bushings if they are grenaded they would clunk.
    As you mentionned it could be loose U bolts but why now?
    Then you could check body mounts, something could be hiting on the steering arm or the tie rod when you turn the wheel.
    Well one more thing that is really silly but it happened to me: Check if you left any tools somewhere and it's tossing around or clunking on something /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    IceMan

3. Zeus33rd

I greased the hell outta the new jjoints....
    Allready checked the shackle thing...
    What bushings?
    I tossed my sway bar a looooong time ago...
    Not sure why now the u-bolts... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Not sure how bad body mounts would cause somethin to hit the tie rod or steering arm while turning.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    As for tools bouncin around somehwere......I've done that before, But didn't this time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    This clunk noise sounds like a weight transfer thing....it only happens when I turn the wheel fairly sharp while drivin down the road...Or while makin a sharp low speed turn. And it's not a "light" clunk like a bad sway bar bushing would make......It's a heavier clunk.....Thats why I suspected loose u-bolts....lol, Workin on these things is just like a big puzzle.

4. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Any advice for me on ball joint replacement? I have been putting off the job for too long. Bought Moog joints from dealer, $110.

BTW, I have a clunk exactly like yours. My clunk also happens when backing up plus all of your conditions. Slow motion sharp turn in parking lot causes it too.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Didja torque down that little sleeve on the upper ball joints properly? If that isn't done, then the upper ball joint can clunk around on ya.

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Check the steering box on the frame. Maybe once you cleaned up all the slop and free play it was enuff to move the gear box outta whack.

7. Zeus33rd

Not reallly much advice I can give ya.....It's really pretty straight forward. I went and rented the ball joint press from AutoZone...Just take your time and it's no problem.

HarryH3- Yeah, The sleeve was troqued correctly.

JimmyJack- I looked at the steering box, I couldn't see where it had been moving around, But I guess I could just throw a wrench on the bolts anyways.
    Thanks for all the info guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

Just for kicks check your trans mount and crossmember mine made the same noise and was a loose crossmember bolt!!

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That's funny, last night I thought of exactly the same thing, I came here to tell him to check those mounts, but I guess he already did check them.
    IceMan

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

leaf springs are sometimes quite noisy
    try spreading the leaves and getting a shot of grease between each one

11. Zeus33rd

I tightened all the u-bolts, steering box bolts, cross member bolts, engine mount bolts, double check the ball joint nut's and adjuster sleeve, re-torqued the streering arm nut's, checked the wheel bearing's again, double checked the lug nuts, (broke a stud in the process /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) I did discover that both the body mounts up front under the radiator and the one on the drivers side under my seat are totally shot out. So now I'm leaning towards the body mounts being the problem... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif