Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARGH more tranny problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, May 5, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well more of the same problem, my tranny pan was leaking so i dropped it down got a new gasket.. the rubber one from napa and cleaned everying spotless, used some brake cleaner cleaned off any oil dried both sides and put it back up there, made sure i didnt over tighten anything and bam it leaks again, only from the back right corner of the tranny pan on my 700R.. Would it be ok for me to drop it again, re-use the gasket and put a lil bit of rvt sealant in there? I dont wanna drive it cuz after about 2hrs of it parked there is a 2ft dia puddle from it under the truck. The pan seems to be level and straight so i dont know what is going on. Any ideas on how to seal it?

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

have you tried tightening the bolts a little more?

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

don't use RTV on a tranny pan that is a big nono, RTV can cause you more problems than you allready have

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

are you sure its coming from the pan? or could it be from the rear of the trans. has the pan in the past been over tightened and warped?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Back when I had no money, I reused the rubber pan gaskets a few times. I always ended up sealing them with a THIN layer of RTV on the pan. (because that is the easy part to scrape it off of) I'm talking a *tiny* bit on my finger, smear it on only down the center of the pan rail, and around each bolt hole.

I know it's a bad thing, but when you have no money, and it leaks, you do what you have to do. Besides, whats the filter for? haha :)