Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARGH! Need help with my Ramsey...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chevy409, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Chevy409

Chevy409 Registered Member

Just bought a NEW (supposedly) Ramsey REP8000 winch today. Put power to the winch and it reels in and out fine with the hand control but when I flip the switch to disengage the winch, I can't pull it out by hand... it doesn't free up at all, like the clutch is still engaged. Is this because it's new and just needs to be worked in or did i get screwed on this deal? Any advice or idea of what problem I might have is appreciated, thanks.

2. Chevy409

Anyone with similar experience?

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I know my friends Warn winch sticks every once in a while. Winches have a automatic brake. Thats problable whats not allowing you to free spool it. I have no idea on how to fix it though. Sorry.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I don't know if it helps, but on my WARN, you have to flip the clutch handle to "free Spool". It will not free spool when the handle is in the "engage" position.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/>http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/</a>Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Somehow, I don't think that is the answer he was looking for.

show some balls; take it apart and see what is wrong.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

6. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

does it have the "t" handle on the side?

7. Chevy409

Yes MOABDAD, I remembered to flipt the switch to "freespool" or "disengaged" :)
    RedDwarf, I didn't dig in much but did take off the cover to the planetarys and everything looked good, plenty of greese and everything. It was a little warm though and I only ran the winch for maybe 30 seconds.
    Thanks for the input guys. If someone thinks they have some info, my ears are open.

8. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Spool out some line, then disengage it and try to wind the line in by hand a bit first. It may be that there is some bind in the drive, and if you turn it backwards a bit first, it will break loose and let you pull the line out by hand. Just a thought.

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

9. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the same exact winch. 1st make sure that you have the clutch fully disengaged. Engaged the lever is at the horizontal position, and you pull it up to about 45 degrees to disengage.
    If you call or email Ramsey they will send you owner's manual which includes a exploded view of the winch.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Call Ramsey!!!! If it is new they should be able to help! And if it is broke, they should be able to help you get a new one. DONT TAKE IT APART!!! You may void the warranty!!!!!!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

11. Chevy409

Littlepig, when disengaged, I can't move it either way by hand. I can however still power the winch with the control when the switch is "disengaged". The clutch just doesn't seem to free up.

I wish i had a warranty or something like that but I bought it at a swap meet this past weekend :(