Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARGHHHH!!! I hate this friggin carburator!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Ok, I want to blow this frickin thing up! Just went out for a little half day run with my sister a brother in law, And imbarassed my self to no end because of my choking/stalling retarded Q-jet. Halfway up the steeper hills and it would cough and sputter and die. ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!! It seems like when this happens everyone is looking and laughing. Need a new one I guess. Got to do somethin about it before Hollister on the 21st of next month. I can get a remanufactured carb just like the one I have now (model 4MV) from Kragen for $175. Either that or almost $400 for an Edelbrock. I am thinkin the Kragen one sounds good as a temporary fix. Gotta be better than the pile of [censored] I have now. Damn thing has a large crack in it right through one of the screws holding it together. Can you say vacumn leak? Oh well, it still runs when its level, so I'll make do.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What I would do is go to the salvage yard and get one for $25 or so.
    Get a kit for $40 or so and have the same thing that Kragens sells for $175.
    If the throttle shafts are in good shape just get some Chem-dip or some other cleaner and do it your self.
    My Q-jet is pretty much stipped down with no choke or secondary pull off and it runs like a champ.
    When I go wheelin I just crank up the idle to 1100 and it has never given me one bit of trouble.
    The Kragon and other chain ones are just a carb that has been cleaned and had a fresh gasget set put in it.

3. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

Or you could spend that $400 and buy a Holley truck avenger carb from Summitt. With the vacume feeds this thing will maintain an idle at 45 degrees in any direction. I was never a big Holley fan, but now won't run anything else on my 85 k5.

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Dude your running a carb. with a crack where it mounts and you say you hate the CARB!! Thats damn funny! I would do what POWERMAD said and get a used carb with a good housing and throttle plate. And rebuild it, you'll be amazed at the diffrence a refreshed carb makes.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I see your point bro....I was just blowing off some steam. The throttle plates are also shot. The housing's cracked...Might just have to ceck out the local pick'n'pull. Gotta do somethin about it before the 21st at Hollister. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I bought a Quadrapuke from JET awhile back, granted I had to do some tuning to get it right. But they jet it and use the close to right metering rods and so forth. for your application, insted of the local guys generic tuning. That way you'll be set with a "new" carb. You won't have to worry about the throttle plate or any of that other worn out hard parts headace!

7. TENNJIMMY

TENNJIMMY Registered Member

just sent your carb to jet performance (www.jetchip.com)they will build it to run just for your truck. prices about 200+

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I have too have to say just get one of the jet carbs from jegs (summit is out) and when YOU get it they are like night and day...Hint that's the route I went...and it was like 359 I did get the stage 2 though.. If ya want to get one from the wreckers then You can have mine (ran but could use to be rebuilt-but does have a new accelerator pump though.) PM me If ya want it...mike