Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Argon or CO2 for mig gas

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Apr 20, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Is there any difference between using argon and CO2 for mig gas?

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

usually its a mixture. Running pure Argon is not recommended for mild steel, it has shallow penetration and bead looks crappy. People usually mix the two. 75/25 % and so one depending on what you like.

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I hear ya, I had a little SPL 135 a few years ago and used the argon blend. I am just wondering if there are any benefits to using a blend over CO2 or visa versa, maybe it is cheaper?

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

co2 is the cheaper of the welding gases... its all we use at school... but for my personal welding I like a 75/25 mix... (ar/c02)... and with my powermig in power mode or spray arc it likes 85/15 even better... the mixes are WAY more expensive but do have less spatter and smoke then straight co2

cam

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Usually need better than 90% Argon to get spray transfer...we run 92/8 at work. For my home rig I use 75/25 (Millermatic 135) and it runs nice with tolerable spatter if there is such a thing.

Straight Argon is mostly used for aluminum Mig, although I prefer an Argon Helium mix.

Rene

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Straight Co2 burns hotter so it is nice for a small welder, I have a pro mig 135 and run straight Co2, very happy with the weld quality but I dont think it has enough power to weld much over 1/8".

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

thats the nice thing about the new powermig... its much more forgiving on percentages... and the computer makes a good weldor... well.. skill is skill but it really helps produce machine automated looking welds in the manual mode....
    Welding thin aluminum before with a spool gun meant super fast speeds and still there was a chance of melt thru,,, now I can weld fairly light guage... 16 lets say... no prob... I have the python push pull gun..which is large.. but Ill rarely weld any aluminum under 1/8,,,, the weld quality and appearance is just flat amazing... miller isnt even in the ball game yet

I still have tig (squarewave 185) for slow intricate welds... I might use it for an exo cage where spatter might be a problem if I didnt want to, or couldnt, cover the area with a welding blanket (you get very little with double pulse)...otherwise its double pulse with the powermig everytime now

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For aluminum we use the Miller XR-W Control push-pull feeder with water cooled gooseneck gun coupled with the Optima MIG pulse control programmer. The Coolmate does a fine job of keeping the gun cool. We do aluminum from light guage to 1" thick...although we usually use TIG for the light stuff.

Personally I don't like aluminum, although i'm decent at it.

This is our TIG machine, and is the one I spend the most time using. :D

[​IMG]

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/syncrowave_250_dx/

Rene