Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Arizona crew,,,(NEVERMIND REPAIRED)

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by 4xcrazy, May 3, 2007.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I know i haven't been the friendliest person lately, but I too have had some crappy situations goin on, affecting my attitude, and again to all appologize.....

now for the question I need to post up...

as some of you know, i am swapping motors in the Burb, due to a simple headgasket leak, i don't have the funding to rebuild the motor, it has 255k on it, so i was hesitant at just tossing a headgasket on it and running...

But in the removal process, those wonderful exhaust manifold flange bolts (which were original) decided they didn't want to cooperate with me.:doah:

This is pretty much the "current" speedbump at the moment for reassembly...

if ANYONE,,,:o has a stock exhaust manifold they are not needing, and want to donate, or even sell, it would be greatly appreciated.

posted up a pic of the manifold i am needing, it is the drivers side unit, but i have found that there are different styles,

please let me know if anyone has this style, would hate have to deal with drilling and extracting, or even worse, buying a new one if i can just find a replacement...:doah:

Thanks again, and hope to see ya all on the trails soon.:o

100_4670.jpg

100_4672.jpg

100_4674.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  2. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

Tj, you dont need a exhaust manifold, you need the spreading tools that snap on sells to properly install the manifold.. ALL the stock manifolds that i have ever put on have faught me until i bought these spreaders... I bet you $20 that your having a hard time getting the 4 outermost bolts to line up and thread arent ya?? start the two middle bolts first, then get something to spread the manifold the 1/16 of a inch you need to get the other 4 bolts in.... the tool that i use has threads like a tie rod and you just unscrew it agains the manifold (thats why you start the center two first) and it spreads it just enough to get the other bolts in.... I just happen to have these tools you need but wont be able to get over there till this weekend some time.... Nate

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

no,,,look carefully at those pictures,,,the three flange bolts that go to the pipe are busted, and still remaining in the holes,,,one i could PROBABLY work out, but the other two are pretty flush with the flange.

I already have the spreader tool (borrowed) for re-assembly :D

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its only a real problem on the "open" factory manifolds . The "log" style like on the 305's don't seem to offer as much trouble when reinstalling .

5. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

BTW, if its the bolts that hold the collector to the manifold, and you dont have any type of heat and a extractor, yes, your right.. your screwed... but have no fear nate is here and i have one for you that still has a piece of the pipe bolted to it.... it has the smog injection pipe on it (just one) but it can be blocked with a fitting.. the studs on this one are also just a tad rusted.. but if your slow about it and use some heat the nuts will come off like butter, ask me how i know.. nate

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Why don't ya torch it , and turn the remaining part out ? Or use your welder and tack a little on , then heat it it up and turn it ?

Thats how I got the fill plug out of the 12 bolt ( I hate the female kind ) . It got hot from welding , and practically twisted out easily .

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i may tinker with it some more tomorrow, still working on this whole motor swapping delima:crazy:

8. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

If you don't get it, I will come over sunday and drill and retap them for you.

9. mtnman

mtnman Scrap metal fabricator Premium Member

didn't bother to ask the junk man eh? i have 2 of those!!!!!!!!:D :D

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

kept getting side tracked to send you a messege or call, and when i WOULD think to cal or text you, i figured it was too late, i know your sleeping/work hours :doah: :D

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

don't need one anymore, Jason4x4 had the patience and the right tools for the job of drilling and extracting any remains on the broken bolts....

It should work out fine,,,thanks again dude :woot: :thumb:

THEN he went WAAAY overboard and proceded to follow me home from where we were originally, and assist me in the final assembly and installation of the new/used motor i picked up from him a week prior :eek1:

guess he was getting alittle anxious to hear the truck run :D

not completely together yet, but it is mounted to the motor mounts and a few bolts snugged up in the bellhousing,,,,so the rest should be done within the next day or so...

AGAIN, i cannot thank you enough Jason for your generous help with this....

As i said, it WOULD have gotten finished,,,,,,,,eventually :doah:

Thanks again man:thumb: