Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Arizona emmisions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by j24kiss, Sep 28, 2001.

1. j24kiss

j24kiss Registered Member

Someone help me here. I have been building a 79 blazer for the last year,its just an old beater with a ton of new parts on it.I currently live in Indiana but we are moving to Arizona. What do I have to do to make this thing legal there?. It has a 350 4 barrel with headers and duel exhaust.I have put a lot of money in this thing and would hate to get rid of it.If any one knows please help. Thanks

2. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

Welcome to Arizona!

They check for the stock emission components that came with the truck. They use your VIN to see what emmisions equipment it should have. I was lucky with my previous 77 K5s, the only emmissions stuff was a pcv valve (no cats, no AIR)! If you fail inspection they will tell you what equipment you need. Headers are legal here but if you have, or need AIR you'll need to modify the exhaust. I did this on my 81 Burb, just had a muffler place weld in a threaded pipe fitting into the exhaust down stream from the manifolds and hooked up some emmission hose to it and the AIR pump.

Overdrive

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Wecome to the Oven..... It also depends on where in AZ you move? There are some counties that don't have any reg's on emission....

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Emissions only apply in Maricopa, Pima, and parts of Pinal county (AJ, East Mesa, Casa Grande, and Coolidge, but only if you commute to the valley)

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Have you heard about any enforcement for this travel(commute) thing ?

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I sure haven't - when I was living in Casa Grande, I didn't even have to get an inspection - paid the registration and that was it. I'm not sure how they could even pretend to enforce it.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Thanks someone here said different color tint to the license plate, heard somewhere about a sticker ?

8. j24kiss

j24kiss Registered Member

Thank you all for your help. I was having no luck asking elsware... Thanks again!!

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I really don't know - the registration slips from the Cherokee and my old dually (both were registered in Casa Grande) show no emissions test required. Both had the plain old red license plate.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Last time my truck went threw emmision they didn't say anything about my true dual exhaust. From what I have heard true duals is illegal on my 85 because it didn't come that way from the factory, but they didn't say anything. I do run dual high flow cats, so they may not care since it has cats on it.

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Here is the scope of the emision centers in the valley...One is that they are not run by the state.....Second it is the Year Sticker is a different color for Non Emission Area's....They can give you a ticket is you drive a non-emission vehical iin a Emission area....

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

12. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

DAMN!! Seems weird to her people talking like Casa Grande is a run of the mill place. Used to live in Phx, Mesa,Tempe,Apache Junction,Florence, and Tucson. Really kinda miss the Out-West experience, now in Ohio. Don't miss the emissions crap-ola, though,LOL!!!!

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

13. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You are allowed to have any kind of exhaust on your vehicle as long as it conforms to your vehicles emissions sticker. Depending on what shop you go to the result varies. One midas shop told me NO WAY! we cannot, will not put dual exhaust on your blazer. If we got caught we'd get a 10,000 dollar fine from the EPA. He also told me that two seperate catalytic convertors don't burn as hot as a single. No kidding but they certainly burn hot enuff! This guy wouldnt even bend the pipes and sell them to me! I went to another shop across town (midas) and he told me no problem, when do you want to bring it in? I went to another shop (privately owned) and he hemmed and hawed and finally told me he could do it but tried in vain to talk me out of it. Basically he told he's really not allowed to do that kind of work on exhaust systems cos of the EPA, but there are loopholes. Now you as the private owner of the vehicle can do whatever the hell you want as long as it conforms to your sticker.
    I unhook my smog pump and remove my "catvertor" until its emissions time. I took it in for testing without all this garbage hooked up two years ago ( i forgot to hook it up) and although it failed the visual inspection it passed the sniffer test! Hooked everything back up, passed the visual and got the same results on the sniffer almost to the T !!!

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim