Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Arizona GM dealer ripoff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sparky87k5, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Just thought I would post this as a warning to those passing thru Kingman, Arizona. My father-in-law broke down in his Trans Van (1986 C30 Van conversion) and is now looking at a $9774 repair bill. Seems that the Cliff Findley Chevrolet dealer in Kingman won't honor the GM warrantee for the new GM engine (36 months & 50k mileage warrantee) installed 29 months ago (20k on engine) He claims that a bolt came out of torque converter, jammed into flexplate, broke the bellhousing, oil filter adapter(? has no oil cooler) and stopped engine which then broke crankshaft into two pieces while 2 rods were thrown. Claims that the 3 bolts holding torque converter to flex plate were the wrong ones and that one had fallen out while the other 2 were sheared off. These were the same 3 bolts removed when new engine installed and reattached to original torque converter. Claims that new GM engine #12514695 that Sallee Chevrolet.com sells for $1975 plus $100 core charge,(local dealer wants $2700), they have to have $3495 for it plus $400 core charge. Then they want $1500 for T400 trans plus $400 core charge and $89 per hour for 28.7 hours labor, because "it's a motorhome". Then they want $168 for new oil pan, (new engine comes with oil pan) Engine and transmission come out the same as any 1 ton Van, out the front. Checked with my local dealer and he assures me that this is a rip off and gave me a phone number for us to call the GM factory consumer affairs. Not sure what this will accomplish but just wanted to post and vent my frustration. They also charged $144 for towing the 1 ton Van to their shop, less then 7 miles from breakdown. Anyone know who to contact in AZ for a GM rep? Or want to buy a motorhome?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have used the GM number before. Dealer changed their tune REAL quick. Was all "yes sir, No Sir' after corprate called them.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Call GM !!!!! And call your local tv news, and newspapers. They love doing stories that expose rip offs.

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Ever heard of Tom Martino. He does a radio show nationwide where they call them up and get both sides of the story. If you have your figures and your ducks in a row they will change thier price. If i find the # I will post it.

ok heres the info. You can go to Troubleshooter.com or call 1-866-966-help. Also for anyone that is condidering getting any type of work done wether it be vehicle house constuction etc they have what is called the sleaze brigade. A list of people who have been complained about and the complaints were found to be true. You type in what state and their will be a list. I did Colorado and one of the things I found was Republic 4 by 4. Pretty interesting. Good Luck.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

GM tried to screw my Dad after the stock 250hp GM Goodwrench engine in my truck lost two oil rings. They tried to tell me that the PVC valve went bad and little chunks of charcoal went into those two cylinders and messed up the rings and scratched the bores. My Dad (very big guy) got real pissed off, and started yelling how they were trying to imply he was a moron by there excuse assuming he didn't know anything about motors. He raised a huge stink in the Sands Chevy dealership in Phoenix, and finally got a new motor.

*** Sparky: If they do give you a new motor and install it, make sure you are getting a new motor like they say. When they replaced my motor my Dad paided for it to be upgraded to the 300hp crate motor. They installed the motor at the dealership, and we are not sure if it actually is the right motor they said it was. The 300hp crate is supposed to have the nice chrome valve covers and stuff, and ours doesn't. We think they might have just rebuilt a motor and stuffed it into my truck. We can prove it, but that is what we think. The motor does have better power then the old 250HP crate did so we didn't complain, we just let it be. GM will do EVERYTHING possible to screw you any way they can. I worked at a GM dealership, and watched them screw people first hand, and that was on top of the price for parts they already screw you with.***

6. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Anyone know the GM phone number to complain to or have someone look into this matter. Seems to me that everything is based on their opinion, no consideration that the crankshaft could have broke and caused the torque converter to stop so fast that it sheared the bolts off.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Originally posted by 70jimmy:

ok heres the info. You can go to Troubleshooter.com or call 1-866-966-help.

Rene

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Man, I never thought I would hear about a dealer doing business this bad.../forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Seriously, a story like yours is truly enough to get a lawyer involved. That really makes you feel like a postal worker!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Are you talkin about T.Martino here in Denver for troubleshooter.com?

10. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Thats correct the one in Denver. he has actually gone nationwide on the radio and website. I always like how he calls these companies up and you can hear them squirm since they know a lot of future business depends on what they do. Sometimes you get a customer that isnt telling the truth or the whole story and they are the ones that get chewed out.

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

1 800 222-1020
    Bozos like that give me a bad rap in anyones eyes that read this post. The big crook is the service advisor and the service mgr. If one of the guys at my shop told a fish story like this, it would be by by. Was the motor that's in there now replaced by a dealer or a shop or is it a buddy deal ? If a dealer did it they may be liable for the tq bolts coming out. What a bad deal. GM won't be happy with these clowns...
    Jim

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

There's alot of that sort of thing in Kingman (used to live there) - if you ever spend much time there, there's atleast a dozen cars with the little "Calvin peeing on...." sticker with Cliff Findlay neatly lettered in the path of the stream.