Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Armistice Day ( for the history buff )

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Nov 11, 2006.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Since today was originally meant to commemorate the end of the "war to end all wars", I thought I would link this.. lots of excellent photos.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/index.htm

My Dads father served in france during WWI.. he never spoke of anything he saw there, except he liked to talk about the bravery of the scottish regiments ( the kilt wearing "ladies from hell" as he called them).. I still have his helmet, gas mask & uniform.

Anyway, WWI has always been interesting to me, because of the family connection.. The transition to mechanized warfare, the politics surrounding our involvement, all neat stuff with lessons for today..

On this day, I thank all the veterans, past and present.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
    General George S. Patton, Jr

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Dang, dude. My grandfather served in Africa in WW2 fighting Rommel...

-- A

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

My moms dad was killed during WWII.. I think it was in africa as well. Did your grandfather tell you any cool stories, or did he keep everything to himself?

My dad's dad passed away in the early 80's, and he lived to be 90 something.. my dad wasn't born until grandpa was in his 40's..

My friends grandpa used to tell me about lobbing grenades at the huns,(and hospitable french women ) every time he got drunk..

Tom

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, I was wondering about the ages thing there :thinking:

My grandfather died when I was very young ... also, he was English (my dad was born there, moved here when he was 25), so I didn't see much of him.

Why would one want to lob grenades at hospitable French women? :haha:

-- A