Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

army M1009 and differentials questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by domator, Feb 20, 2001.

1. domator

domator Registered Member

Feb 20, 2001
    I recently bought '86 Chevrolet M1009 and now I'm checking what it realy is.
    1. I have big mess in my mind concerning axles and diffs. The army manual says it has rear locking type differential. Is it gov-lock ?? And what does it mean in real life? Is it good option?
    What about highway driving with this gov-lock?
    2. I understand that these truck doesn't have central diff and when it is 4x4 it means 50% of torque goes front and 50% goes rear. Am I right?

Thanks for all answers - here - in Poland - we don't have these cars and it is really difficult to find any information :-((

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Since they are half ton axles, I don't think at that time GM used anything BUT Gov-Locks. So you would be safe to assume yes, it is a gov-lock. Jacking up the rear end, and spinning one tire will tell you. If it is an open differential (not locker or posi) OR a Gov Lock, the rear wheels will spin in opposite directions, if you spin them by hand slowly.

On the S-10's with Gov Lock, if you spin the one tire fast enough by hand, you will feel it lock up.

There is no problem running these on the highway, as long as you don't like doing burnouts and such. Driven conservatively, it should give you no problem.

Yes, there is no center differential. 50 front/50 rear. The driveshafts are physically(mechanically) locked together, unlike AWD and the like that use fluid coupling.

My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
  3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Jan 27, 2001
    Yeager is "on the money". It is a gov-Lock, front & rear axles are 10 bolt GMs, transfer case is NP208 part time four wheel drive.