Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Army oops!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just a little something to kill the time. I already posted the pic over in the Non4x4 forum, but here it is again. [​IMG]
    Now for the story........

Way back in the day, in the year of '93 to be exact, ole Bubba Ray was off in the exotic land of Hawaii, serving as a proud member of the United States Cavalry. Well, on previous misadventures, we had spotted this prime piece of wheeling real estate (name not divulged due to tree huggers) on government land on the island on Oahu. Well, how do some Army guys get the excuse to drive a great 4x4 at taxpayers' expense in some wild and wooley land? DRIVER'S TRAINING!!!!!!

So the day had come to train. Afterwards, we would enjoy a little BBQ on a one of the most scenic beaches on the island (don't you jarheads wish you had it this good?)

Now the picture doesn't give one the true appreciation of the trail. Compared to the Hill at Hollister, the percentage of grade I would guess would be about the same. But in this trail, there are large Jeep swallowing holes which makes navigation more difficult. For example, on a previous trip, my roommate was able to stand a HMMWV on end straight up on two tires while going down this same trail.

Now onto the incident pictured.......
    The driver, along with a passenger riding shotgun were coming down and in attempt to miss the holes, the driver steered into the bank on the left side of the picture. He got the truck in a position of no return, it was just a matter of when they were going over. It was a very slow speed tip over, no injuries.

Now onto the recovery, where the real fun began. Quickly taking stock in the terrain, it was decided that one of our squadron duece and half wreckers wasn't going to make it where we were. We just happened to have a couple of steel tow cables ("acquired" from aviators by the author)and some picks and shovels.

Remember the bank on the left side of the picture, it "disappeared" in a couple of hours. Yes, there were a lot of small trees that were sacrificed for the cause, hence the classified location. Then one of our braver troops took his truck off the left side, and folks, this trail had nothing for incline angles compared to where this troop had to take his truck. A quick hook-up and the truck was righted and we were off once again.

Now for the taxpayers out there, here is the complete and total damage report. The driver's side of the brush guard was slightly bent. The front left corner of the hood was broke, but being fiberglass and we had a paint and body man in the platoon, that was quickly remedied with supplies out of his own pocket. All in all, a good day of wheeling.

2. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

hahahahaha!!!lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifthats some good wheelin right there,i myself just joined the national guard cavalry and love it.good pics looks like stuff weve done /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifscouts out! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

HMMWV or Bradleys?

4. MUD JUNKIE

HMMVES /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

What's the date of delivery on them?
    The ones I were on were delivered in '86 and when I got there in '90, they were worn out hunks of rust.

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I just went and looked for my stuck Hummer pics..now I'm bummed I cant find em.

1st one was in a hole where we were at about 45 deg nose up it was deep enough where you couldnt see the truck, Road master said we had 30 min to get it out or he was pullin our license luckily a Dragon Wagon came by and helped us.

2nd was in Sardina the Lt in back tells me to cut through the line of trees going to the beach, we tried to warn him but he wouldnt listen, ended up nose down in mud to the windshield, rear end sticnig straight up.

The 3rd I saw from ship, the LCU dropped on a sand bar and when he came off it did was a Hummer was meant to do...sank /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif over the cab all that stuck up was about 1 foot of top. The D-9 they sent in toget it got stuck and they had to wait for the amtracks to show up. They pulled the hummer out but the D-9 spent the night under water. And when the LCU backed off the sand bar he wraped a bouy cable around the prop /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif it took us all night to unload that boat.

We also had a guy bury a LAV in a cloverleaf off 495 going from Andrews AFB to Quantico.....on a Friday.......at 4 PM. Took a big tow truck to get him out

7. MUD JUNKIE

yeah the vehicles we have are old and torn up,most of them have torn cv boots to leaks,and I love the rear hatch on echo 23 the one where the seal is gone....pours water in when it rains,we hit a mudhole with it and all the muddy water came right in on everyones stuff /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif what a mess /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It sounds like our newer hummvs. the best way to chek fluid levels is by the speed of the drips. Theres not to many rollovers here(except for the few generators or trailers) but lots of mud stuckage. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i have been in the guard for about 3 yrs now. i am the generator mech, a light wheel vehicle mech, and the wrecker operator/driver. On annual training 2 yrs ago it rained for 3 days. i then spent the next 2-3 days pulling people out. most obviously didnt know how to drive in the mud. damn weekend warriors.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif at anyrate, mostly hmmwvs, a few dung beetles (cucvs with tanks they use to clean the portacrappers) and a few dueces.. was bet 2 hmmwvs couldnt recover a duece.. lol.. we did.. spent most of those days driving through the holes everyone was getting stuck in. seen a hmmwv ambulance get stuck in muck up to the bottom of the doors. they just need to learn to keep to the floor and go... damn weenies!