Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARP steering arm studs - install question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Jan 19, 2007.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Seems like when B_to_C installed his ORD crossover with ARP studs there was some special proceedure for installing the studs or maybe it was the arm. He had to coat the threads with oil and torque it multiple times.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Could you pass on the specifics?

I'm getting ready to do the same but I don't have an instructions for the studs.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Most of ARP's stuff you either use a stretch guage or you torque the fastener, loosen it, torque it again, loosen it, then torque it for the final time. They recommend using only ARP moly lube with their fasteners. Torque readings will change if you use motor oil and not their moly lube. There is also a different torque value if you use oil versus their moly lube.

Studs only install hand tight into the first work piece then the nut is what gets torqued.

3. mrk5

I figured I just hand installed the stud into the knuckle, but wasn't sure.

So all the torquing goes on the nut which makes sense. What you were just saying sounds like what he did, multiple torquing. I don't remember now if he used motor oil or something included with the studs.

I was reading about the stretch gauge stuff on ARP's site. They also had something about using torque wrenches, but all of it was too much gobble-d-gook for me to read.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

When I installed my ORD arm the instructions said to lube the threads and torque to the specified torque. Let it sit for 15 Min loosen and retorque. Repeat this process for 5 times to ensure the proper stretch of the stud. I also installed the studs by hand into the knuckle.

Ira

5. mrk5

Cool thanks. Sounds like it's all coming together now. Torque 5 times, 15min inbetween. Use thread lube, preferrably ARP's stuff.

Thanks guys! :thumb: