Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Arp studs on 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by josephn, Jul 2, 2001.

1. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I was told that if I install studs for my heads that it will make it so you don't blow your head gasket as often. Is this true and is there any reason I should or shouldn't install studs?

1982 6.2L Diesel K5 Blazer, TH700, 31 inch tires.
    Fire ALWAYS makes it better.

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have yet to blow a head gasket at 300,800 miles. Detroit hit the mark when they made a heavy duty motor. The best insurance is to remove the heads, tap the threads, install Fel-Pro head gaskets, and brand new Fel-pro head bolts (#601). All this will give you the ability to torque the heads exactly to spec.

Details:
    You will not need a bottoming tap because all threads go to the water jacket. Clean the threads with carb cleaner after tapping. For 88 and newer diesels, use Fel-pro 6.5L head gaskets. For all other year models, use the 6.2 style head gasket. Torque the head bolts to GM specs: 1st to 20 ft lbs, then to 55 ft lbs, then 55 ft lbs again, and finally tighten all bolts one quarter turn.

You know, while you're at it, you might as well just rebuilt the whole engine.

I hope this helps.

David Oliver
    '85 'burban - 6.2L J NA
    5.5"lift, 35"BFGs
    *B&B 6.2L TD and beefed T-700 coming soon*

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Everything Ag said but the current philosphy from TheDieselPage is to use the FelPro 6.5 gaskets on even the 6.2's. That said the 6.2/6.5 is pretty good about holding head gaskets. I've had experience with GM and VW diesels, and the VW pretty consistent about blowing a gasket after 150K. One of my fellow VW Techs replaced the bolts with (ARP?) studs on his turbo diesel Jetta, last I knew he had 300K under it and the fenders were starting to flap: LOL.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

4. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

55 ft lbs and a quarter turn?
    my manual for my blazer says to "gradually torque to 100 ft lbs" which way is the right way?

1982 6.2L Diesel K5 Blazer, TH700, 31 inch tires.
    Fire ALWAYS makes it better.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

New 1998 torque specs from GM for the 6.2 are 20 ft lbs then 55 ft lbs, then 55 ft lbs again then ¼ turn (90-100°)

Theres nothing like fiddling with my Jimmy! 1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31 x10.50 x 15

6. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is an excerpt taken from www.thedieselpage.com regarding the recent dicussion of the interchangeability of 6.5L headgaskets on 6.2L engines.

"6.2/6.5 Fel-Pro Head Gaskets
    By Jim Bigley

My [Jim Bigley] recommendation for using Fel-Pro head gaskets on 6.2L engines goes back to early 1998, and was only announced after I had personally installed a set of 6.5 gaskets on a 6.2. Since that time, many hundreds of DP members have installed Fel-Pro 6.5 gaskets on their 6.2L, with no reports of coolant leakage.

Anthony Moscarelli... experienced a coolant leak after having installed the 6.5 Fel-Pro head gaskets on his 6.2L engine. His bringing this particular problem to our attention has allowed us to make the necessary correction to our recommendations for replacement head gaskets.

Jamie Avant from The Diesel Depot, says. 'After having this occur several times we have instructed our technicians to switch to the new Detroit gaskets when using 6.2L heads with the extra coolant passage. The Detroit gasket is made with what they call an orange cold-seal compound which seems to seal very well. Rather than steel reinforcing the weak area like the Fel-Pro gaskets, these simply have a thicker fire ring around the cylinder. We have not had a problem with coolant leakage associated with the early 6.2L cylinder heads now that we're using the Detroit head gasket.'

Final recommendation.... If your early 6.2L cylinder heads contain that small odd-shaped coolant passage, use either the Fel-Pro 6.2L gaskets or the Detroit head gaskets. If your newer 6.2L engine does not contain that coolant passage, you'll be better off using the 6.5 gaskets.-(Jim Bigley, thedieselpage.com)"

----------------------------

David Oliver
    '85 'burban - 6.2L J NA
    5.5"lift, 35"BFGs
    *B&B 6.2L TD and beefed T-700 coming soon*