Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARQ,reply about my A/C

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, May 14, 2005.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    ARQ,for some reason I can't P/M you and your e-mail address get bounced back to me when I tried to reply to your e-mail you sent me.

Anyhow here's my response to your e-mail.

ARQ,
    The only Old Air Products piece was the POA eliminator.
    I got everything from Ricks pickup parts.
    http://www.rickspickupparts.com/

He was very helpfull.All the parts came to about $600.00
    Then I had lines made which was another $300.00(I think I got ripped off there)
    I've since got a tool that allows me to make my own lines and have redone the lines I had made.

I got ALOT of info. from http://www.ackits.com/
    It's a great resource and they sell parts at a great price as well.

My A/C conversion was a learning experiance and I spent alot of money learning how to do it the RIGHT way and not skipping corners.I also wanted to know how to service and maintain my A/C system,that's why I decided to buy all the equipment I needed.

If you just want A/C and leave the servicing to someone else I'd install an aftermarket unit like what Old Air Products offers or Vintage air.They both make bolt in kit's for our year trucks

http://www.oldairproducts.com/shop/index.php

http://www.vintageair.com/

If tou decide to go the route I took I'd be more than happy to help anyway I can.
    Also,if you need lines made up I'd be willing for just the cost of the materials.The lines I made are still leak free and performing well.

Later,Bob.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

He probly got fed up with the smog laws and moved back to mexico hahhaaaaa
    Calling ARQ Dennis.....
    I Havent seen him here in a looong time........

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I know.I havn't seen him post in a long time.
    I got the e-mail from him this week though asking about my A/C conversion.
    I just can'y reply to him. :confused:

4. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

need help with my A/C

He may not be replying, but you snagged me. I have a '72 Blazer with factory A/C that has not been working since I bought it 4 years ago. At that time the seller said all it needed was a new compressor. Well, I was broke after the purchase and couldn't fix it. When my mechanic saw I wasn't using it he removed the A/C fan belt. Now I can finally afford to get it fixed and need advice on how to proceed. I need to know what refrigerant is best. I think it probably is best to update to the newest coolant but I want to know the pros and cons of each. Can I get away with just replacing/updating a few parts or will it require a whole new system? What kind of cost am I looking at? Could an intermediate mechanic (not a pro, but I have put 4 wheel drive under a '56 Chevy pickup) like myself tackle such a project, or should I go to a local A/C shop which would be rather pricey? Any advice/info/tips would be appreciated.

5. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this helps. But, I went the Vintage Air route. I removed all of the original components and installed the new. Just had to have it purged and serviced by a shop.

I went with R134a. I haven't run it yet. I had to go back to work. My rig and I are currently on oposite sides of the country.

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Gaspas,you can see all my A/C conversion pic's HERE.

I chose to go with R-134 only because the only thing that remained of the factory A/C on my Blazer when I bought it was the condensor and evaporatoer core.All the lines had been disconected and the compressor and brackets were long gone.

I figured if I had to buy all new stuff,why not convert over to newer technology and use a refridgerant that I could buy without a special licence.

If your system is all there and in decent shape I'd say stick with the R-12.If the system has been none operational or open to the atmosphere for a while you'll have alot of contamination in the system.Dirt,air and moisture will allmost render an A/C system useless.

Here's a post I made about my conversion.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111150

7. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

Thanks Boondocks. And Bobk, all those pics will surely be helpful. Hey, I also saw your pics about mounting a winch behind the front bumper. I have considered installing a winch, but I love the look of the front of these 1st gens and didn't want to ruin it with a winch bumper. This looks like a very viable option. My other choice was to get a winch mount that slides into a reciever on the front or the back of the rig. But I think lifting a winch would be cumbersome. Thanks again for the advice.

8. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

this is some cool stuff

i had a lengthy reply back on this one. must of timed out and lost it all. my fingers are getting tired now. any how i'll get to the point on this one :(

Bob,

thanks for the info this is great. living out in the desert, you gotta have a good a/c system. I have a couple questions for you. How has your set up been working out? and the expansion valve, why did you decide to go with the inline FOT?

thanks,

ARQ.

9. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

"why the FOT"
    Just decided to go with the newer technology.

It wasn't untill after I bought all my new parts did I find out how to adjust the orig. POA system to function with the R-134 refridgerant.

In my case it didn't matter as I only had the evap. core left of my orig. system.

My system as it is now is working great.I was in Phoenix over the Memorial day weekend and I was comfortable in my truck.
    Ambiant air temps were around the 100-103 mark.

My advice is:
    If you want to do the work and maintain your A/C system,BUY the proper equipment 1st.Makes it much easier to set-up and maintain your system.

If you want to keep the R-12 system,get a MACS cirtification online.The cirtification will allow you to purchase R-12 leagally.
    Here's a link for it.
    http://www.macsw.org/macs.asp?mfurl=certify.html

Now If you just want cold A/C and want some-one else to do the work I'd stick with the R12 and the orig. POA system.Prob. cheaper to have the R-12 system cleaned,checked for leaks and recharged by a pro than have the pro convert your system over to R-134.

But if your like me and HATE anyone but yourself touching your truck,go to
    A/C kits site http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=2&zb=4888874
    and do some reading to educate yourself on automotive A/C.(It's not that hard actually)

You can then make-up your mind wether to stick with your orig. R-12 system or to convert to R-134.

Either way,the pro's on A/C kits site or myself are here to help.

10. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

condensor

I thought about modifing the POA, but I would need the equipment. I may go with the R12 since it is easily available across the border. But then i would miss out on servicing my rig :) It would be nice to convert it and service it. since my other vehicles also use 134, i could service them too.

another question is that condensor you got also good for R12 or is it specially made for the 134??

thanks,

ARQ

11. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Parallel flow condensors were designed for R-134 but will work just as well for R-12.

A/C kits has a starter kit designed with the newbie in mind.It gives you everything you need to service your A/C at a reasonable price.
    Here it is.
    [​IMG]

And the link to it.
    ADVANCED DIY KIT

I was able to get a nice 6cfm vacume pump off E-Bay for $200.00,my A/C gauges at a parts store for $50.00,a Can tap for about $10.00 and I endedup getting that book for I think $25.00 or so.A thermometer for $3.00,and a hose extension for about $12.00.
    I also needed an adaptor to hook-up my pump to the gauges I got,that was about $10-15.00.

So really the equipment isn't that expensive and will save you 10x that much iin labour costs.