Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARRRGGG!!! D60 Brake Problem!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Feb 16, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Why does my drivers side caliper keep coming loose from the bracket, and riding the inside of my rim? I just drove it to school, and most of the way here, I start to hear a loud noise - kinda like the tire wants to jump off the truck. So I pull over a few blocks from school, and the flippin' caliper has come loose for the second time since I installed the D60, and was busy scraping the death out of the inside of my (black) wagon wheel! [​IMG]

Why me? I just put all new hardware on that side too, within the last 6 months. Now it falls off again? And of course I lost the spring, and the lower I-beam retainer thingy. DAMN!

Suggestions for when I reassemble it today? Thanks guys and gals.

-Dan

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://home.attbi.com/~netwrite>Midwest Caravan</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Did the allen screw that holds the slide and the spring come loose or fall out? I can't imagine how the caliper can come loose, or even move if everything was properly installed and the allen screw was tight.

Derf00
    1990 K5 Jimmy 350 Edelbrock Performer TBI, 6in BDS Lift, Dana 60, 4.56, Corp 14B Detriot, 16x10 AE 589's, 37x12.5 SSR

3. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The caliper-mounting bracket may be worn beyond spec. If so you’ll need to shim it or replace it.

Joe
    79K10

4. KRAZIE87K5

I think what happens is that the spring on the top (cresent shaped spring), gets flattened out, and then somehow manages to remove itself from its proper place. (falls out onto the street as I'm driving) Then at that point, when I brake the next time, the caliper grabs and rotates upwards away from the "I-beam thingy" giving the bottom of the caliper enough room to swing away from the bracketry - which also releases the top of the caliper - which allows it to then slide along inside the rim... [​IMG][​IMG]

Does the spring belong on the bottom of the assembly, or the top?

5. KRAZIE87K5

And about being worn out of spec - The axle is in really good condition - so I don't know if that is a possibility. Does anyone know what the measurement should be from top to bottom of the braket without the extra hardware?

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

If the bolt keeps working loose, you ought to safety wire it just so it cant back out.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The spring definetly goes on TOP of the I-beam.

I agree with the previous post suggesting that bracket may be worn. I have a friend that had a similar problem with a caliper that had too much play in the bracket. He would have needed an 1/8" shim to take up the slack. He was fortunate enough to have had another 60 to rob the brackets off of and that fixed his problem.

The same theory could also apply to the caliper. If you have a parts house "reman" caliper that may be the worn part.

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I disagree
    the spring goes on the bottom,
    otherwise it would see braking torque and be compressed
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/2/72/3/26127203sWmyVfrxZy_ph>image proving my point i think</a>

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

spring goes on bottom side of caliper

sorry double posted to ensure u get notified

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

10. KRAZIE87K5

Hmmm... I agree with the statement about if the spring is on top it would experience braking compression, but the side that never falls apart has the spring on TOP of the caliper...

Doesn't anyone have a dual piston Ford setup on their D60? I just need to know where this darn C-spring goes...

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

M J's correct, his description is what I thought I was saying.

The spring goes on top of the I-beam and then both pieces are installed below the caliper. The order of the assembly from top to bottom would be : caliper - spring - I-beam - caliper bracket.

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.projectresponder.com/drivetrain/dana60.asp>http://www.projectresponder.com/drivetrain/dana60.asp</a>

i will look for more

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

13. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Look at the bright side at least you have a Dana 60.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

14. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I judt bought a d-60 from a military truck that had about 20,000 miles on it and the spring was under the I beam as I knocked it out

15. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I am not sure what you are calling the top or the bottom, but the spring goes on top of the I-beam with the tabs of the spring facing down and comes in contact with the bottom of the caliper. When I replaced my calipers on my 60, they did not "slide" in, they had to be tapped in with a mallett. You can buy a replacement kit with a spring and the I-beam and it will give you instructions on how to measure for wear and you can buy different sized I-beams.

My D60/14B came off a CUCV. The 14B had brand new brake shoes installed on it...........backwards.

Derf00
    1990 K5 Jimmy 350 Edelbrock Performer TBI, 6in BDS Lift, Dana 60, 4.56, Corp 14B Detriot, 16x10 AE 589's, 37x12.5 SSR

16. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

I have had two Dana 60's and each one did the same thing. Basically, somebody has left the spring out before and the caliper opened up the clearance in the backing plate. You need to slide a shim between the caliper and the retaining plate / spring assembly to help tighten it back up. Look around your garage and find a flat piece of metal about 1/16" thick and tap it in after you get the plate / spring pieces put back in. Problem solved.

I have had to do this on several axles because people ALWAYS forget to put the spring back in.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

17. KRAZIE87K5

I did buy a kit - as a matter of fact, I bought two kits. One had the correct sized spring, and the other had the correct sized I-beam. BUT AGAIN, I reinstalled the spring on the top, where the other side has its spring installed. But something inside me said "That just doesn't look right" when I was slapping it all back together. [​IMG]

One more thing, if the spring goes on top of the I-beam with the tabs facing down at the edges, should the spring fit snug over the I-beam? In both kits I bought (One for a '80 F350, and one for a 77 Dodge something-or-other) the springs don't seem to fit over the I-beam as described above. Instead, they look like they fit pretty loosly on top...

Anyone know of a good mechanics book or some other material that would tell me about this flippin' axle?

BTW GreenBlazer - I am pretty lucky to have a D60, aren't I? [​IMG][​IMG]

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

'loosely'?
    i have to tap mine in with soft mallet.
    the spring is captured by the i beam and the bent ends as per nvernuf's instructions
    good luck sorting yours out
    if you could post measurements from between the rails on the caliper bracket we could add it to the D60 knowledgebase

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

19. KRAZIE87K5

I must have said something wrong. The spring fits loosely against the I-beam when its NOT installed. In other words, there seems to be too much left to right slop between the tabs on the spring and the I-beam. And once compressed, the tabs would move farther away from the I-beam, right?

And don't get me wrong - I need a hammer to install my I-beam too - once the spring is in place. But I think that I am becoming more and more convinced that the spring belongs somewhere on the bottom side of the caliper, with the I-beam.

Does anyone have pics of Ford outters? I guess I will have to take some when I get the chance to take this apart again.... [​IMG]

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

But I think that I am becoming more and more convinced that the spring belongs somewhere on the bottom side of the caliper, with the I-beam

<hr></blockquote>

that is 100% correct.

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though