Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARRRGGGG!!! Friggin parts stores [rant]

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by az-k5, Jan 15, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

So I have been readin up on some ideas for a hi amp alternator. Tim (84 chevy k10) lead me on to a 140A pontiac alt. And even offered the exact part number for the pigtail wire adapter (this is supposedly a GM only AC delco part). This is where the rant begins.
    I go to my local GM parts house. Give them the number. They know what it is. Great!! Then they say nobody has one. I say who does then. They say some wharehouse in NC and it will be about 10 days to get it in. I ask if that is the only place I might be able to find it? answer, yep. I leave, not wanting to pay extra for a part I can order fron NC myself. I spent most of this morning searchin the net for every GM parts site. I repeatedly plug in the PN and get a "no vehicle found" no duh. I go to AC delco's site, same crap about a vehicle. Most of the dealerships sites have a vehicle search only, that doesn't help me. I go to autozone, and checker, they "can't" (read don't feel like it today) cross the PN to an import brand, and tell me it is a dealer only part. I begin to call 10+ different dealerships who all need to order this part for 7-10 days. No body will give me the make and or model of this parts origin. Then I realized that I haven't checked the carquest (the only place I can find moog w/lifetime warrenty). Go there and sure enough, some building, nobody on this side of the mississippi knows of, has one. They will have it in by 1:30 today. WTF
    [rant over]
    I know long winded but I keep going. I am getting real tired of my PN's being useless any more. They ask me what vehicle and I have to say for which part? I have dodge LH TRE's, cadilac calipers, '75 3/4 ton axles, a pontiac alternator, a 2wd steering box, a 1350-1310 u-joint, a 454 radiator, the list goes on all for my 1/2 ton 1979.5 (dont get me started on what year my truck is) GMC Jimmy with a 350 4brl and TH350. I do have a list of all of these part numbers to match, but that obviously can't be used to find the isle it is on (by the way I can see the part I am asking for, now go get it and ring me up!!)
    Thank you and Done. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know long winded but I keep going. I am getting real tired of my PN's being useless any more. They ask me what vehicle and I have to say for which part? I have dodge LH TRE's, cadilac calipers, '75 3/4 ton axles, a pontiac alternator, a 2wd steering box, a 1350-1310 u-joint, a 454 radiator, the list goes on all for my 1/2 ton 1979.5 (dont get me started on what year my truck is) GMC Jimmy with a 350 4brl and TH350. I do have a list of all of these part numbers to match, but that obviously can't be used to find the isle it is on (by the way I can see the part I am asking for, now go get it and ring me up!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I know how that goes.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

EDIT: I also know how dumb the customer can be sometimes too. It does go both ways. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Been there done that! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif They always want to know what your working on! Then they say it won't fit or work on that application. Bah HumBug! They definitly don't know about Frankensteining a rig to work more efficiently! Or better yet where the acual part is or goes!
    Bill

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

try going in and telling them you have a chevy blazer 1/2ton and tell them you want parts for a dodge dana 60 1 ton front /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif i have been told by them that a dodge dana 60 wont fit in my blazer to which i reply mind going out looking under my blazer and telling it that because it sure looks to fit just fine to me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hats off to the good parts guys, but they can be a rare comodity sometimes (as most professions i assume). i've watched our parts supplier go thru quite a few that have just plain sucked over the years. they have 2 guys that have been there forever tho and are golden.

being in the marine business i give em some pretty crazy tasks on occasion and those 2 never fail.

the ones i hate are the ones who act like they know everything and surely don't. sending wrong parts 1/2 the time. gotta call em back with the "put Rich on the phone please!!" /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Well i must say i do like carquest, they seem to have evrything in stock or next day at the latest, and have decent warranty on stuff.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I find that they are honest also. If the part they have is crap and you ask flat out "would you use this (part) for this (purpose)?" they tell you. They recomended I go to AZ for the alternator cause I have a winch and AZ has a lifetime warranty (CQ does not /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If it's the same thing I'm up to, hate to make ya feel bad but GMPartsDirect had it when I went looking, but I could get it for about the same price from the dealer and had it in about 5 days; and the NC warehouse was the only place that had it. This was about 6 months ago.

9. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I guess I have it made then here , Because I go to ( I know no one likes kragen) and they all no me by name and just ask me what it is off of and not well that doesnt fit or wont work...lol
    And to top off that they are girls...(nice looking ones too) II will go in and even the boss will grab the book if it is something that they can't find...Never had a problem with them and have used them since I bought the blazer..Madey it is a fluke but I like the fluke...lol

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Yes training the parts people to your liking is helpful. I try tricking them with the questions I ask them too....

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You guys should come to my store, having a wheeler behind the counter makes stuff easier. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif