Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Grim-Reaper, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

So we decided our old computer needed to be upgraded It's about to turn 4yr. The old computer would replace our other computer that is a POS. New computer would be the main. We have a wireless set up so both Mrs' Reaper and I can surf at the same time off the cable modem.

So we order this 3g Pentium proccessor A50r IBM with XP. all the bells and wistles. Order an extra 256megs of ram in addition to the standard 256 it comes with. 80gig drive. CD R/W Dvd etc

Both my folks worked for IBM so I get employee discount. Came with wireless keaboard and mouse, Lotes smart suite, Infiity speakers. fast vid card with 128megs of it's own ram and a Printer. We upgraded to a little better printer for doing photo printing. Already had 2 good 17 inch monitors so no need for that. Think the total bill was $1200 or something

So the computer gets delivered and right off the bat problems.

We ordered the wrong ram. Managed to order laptop ram some how. Figure this out when I went to install it before firing up the new machine for the first time.

So our screw up. Just call and get it exchanged.

Try to fire it up...monitor never fires up. The fans came on, power indicator on so something aint right. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Call IBM, They guess it's the vid card. Send a repair guy out as warranty. I keep messing with it and I'm conviced it's something else. Never see the light blinking for hard drive and no Num lock and Cap lock lights on keay board.

Call them back tell them to send us another computer. They talk us into letting the service guy give it a shot.

So service guy get's here. Yep it's not the vid card. He tinkers around and finds the processor was not properly locked down. Ride to our place on UPS caused it to back out of the mount since it was not locked in correctly.

So up and running on new maching. Now trying to get use to a new machine with new to me OS. Need to move my files over to it etc. It recognizes the Linksys we have right off the bat.

So old machinge gets moved over to replace other computer. Fighting with it to get it to work on the linksys. Can't get it online. reload softwear like three times.

NOW that computer is crashing and can't get it to run. We are running system recovery stuff on it trying to save our 4-5 gigs worth of digital pictures we had not put on CD yet. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif That machine ran flawlessly for four years. Never had a problem. Ran the sys check and it's finding disc errors. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just hope we can get it back up to save our files.

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Last march I got a virus from a website (sneaky) that totally messed up my HD. Long story short, I had to get another computer. As i couldn't load the old computer's drive I got a removable disk drive case, put the old messed up HD in it, installed it as an extra HDin the new computer, then went into Windows Explorer and just copied my data over to the new system and left the system info alone.

My point is, that even if you had to get rid of all the stuff on the new computer, format the new drive again and reinstall Windows and peripherals, drivers, etc., you could still extract your info from the old drive by just copying data instead of system info that may be messing up your new system, especially if the old system's OS was not WIn XP.

Only thing you'd need to do is ensure that another drive bay exists in your case or find a drive case that could be external and allow you to pop your old HD in and extract info only, not system flies.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, Grim, you got a wireless network? You seem more like a guy who'd rather run the wires. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No comment on the crashing computer, but I will say that this house is much happier with a cat 5 network.

4. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow, Grim, you got a wireless network? You seem more like a guy who'd rather run the wires. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No comment on the crashing computer, but I will say that this house is much happier with a cat 5 network.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehe Well the plan is the old Aptiva is going on a cart. The cart will be like a hospital bed table (migt even be a hospical bed table if my bud that is the head maintence guy can scroung up a couple of busted ones I can peice together)That way if wife wants to sit on the couch she rolls it over to the couch and plugs in the A/C and goes. No other wires needed.

5. Grim-Reaper

Well the good news is it looks like we have it recovered. Some how the softwear for the linksys or us screwing around trying to get the linksys to run caused the error: z:vvinesd.386 So we got messing around and finnaly got it to boot up properly. Got scan disck going and defragging. The going to reinsll the program for the linksys and it should straighten up from what I have read. We can get it up in safemode so we should be able to fully recover it.

Some poor bastard at Linsys tech suport is going to have a bad morning when we call about this thing not working and then goofing up our machine. Lady Reaper is a bit miffed.

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I'm having a few of the same issues. Built a new computer with the D-Link wireless router and a wireless card in our old computer that I'm giving to my kids. the wireless card works great as far as getting online but I can't seems to get it to link up so I can transfer all my files over without burning them on a CD /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

That's good news! Well, except for the wireless guy /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Problems like those are why I NEVER buy pre-built computers, especially name brand ones like IBM, Dell, Gateway....

You spend 3x the money you can spend on building something yourself thats 3x faster.

No offense on your purchase tho, but for me it's always been easier on the pocket book to build my own.

9. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Youre exactly right about cutting costs. To buy an equivalent PC it would have cost me a crapload more than I paid for parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Problems like those are why I NEVER buy pre-built computers, especially name brand ones like IBM, Dell, Gateway....

You spend 3x the money you can spend on building something yourself thats 3x faster.

No offense on your purchase tho, but for me it's always been easier on the pocket book to build my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but then you also have to consider the cost of the software. What's windows go for these days? Lotus smart suite? and all the other programs that this came with in a bundle?

Yeah you could uild a computer cheaper but some of the cost of buying one ready to go is for the software. Once you add that in then it becomes fairly even (unless your using bootleg software). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Or if you get Winblows and Orifice for $10 from your school. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(That's Windows and Office by the way)

12. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Or if you get Winblows and Orifice for $10 from your school. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(That's Windows and Office by the way)

[/ QUOTE ]

What school? I'm only a couple years away from my 20 year high school. I got a 11 year old kid and a working stiff.

And another thing. Had a problem, made a phone call and somebody else fixed the problem......3 year parts warranty I believe. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

When it comes down to it, to each his own.

I have acquired various types of software over the years and throughout different jobs so there's no need to purchase any software.

I just purchase whatever is top of the line at the time, put her together, install the OS and whatever software that I NEED, and then go at it.

Software bundles that come with those have never been anything useful to me. Their proprietary versions of windows and recovery CD's are about as worthless to me as a MAC. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif