Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Arrrgghhh!!! I hate these $%#&ing hubs!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Feb 10, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

OK, I still can't get the hub body off of my M-H axle. They are MileMarker Selectro hubs and they have an aluminum base. The aluminum has seized to the steel wheel hub and will not let go. I have tried everything. I have pried on them, beat on them, cussed at them, soaked them in oil. Last night I had a brainstorm, I cut some threads in the smooth holes of the hub body, put a piece of steel rod down in the hole, then threaded a larger bolt in on top of the rod to push against the bottom of the hole and pull the hub body away. I think it may have budged ever so slightly, but then the threads would pull out of the soft aluminum and I would have to tap the next one. I went all the way around the hub doing this and still no go. I am about to the point of just destroying the mutha%$#@er just to get it out, but I hate to bash a pair of decent hubs. Anybody have any thoughts? I am open to just about anything at this point. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    This is the one that is still together for reference.

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Is there a way to heat the steel some with a torch? This should help to free the seized aluminum hub base from the steel wheel hub. If not you may have to cut them out /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Heat and quench, heat and quench. That is a good way to get it loose, just not so hot it warps or treats the metals. I am a fan of a hammer over a torch myself.

4. steelsoldiers

So you guys are saying it's time to break out the rosebud and a bucket of water? That should be fun tonight. The wife's going to love it. The house will be filled with steam that smells like PB Blaster. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well the aluminum will expand differently than the steel. It should not take much of a change to hot pop it loose.

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

A good overnight or two soaking with Parts Blaster (PB) has always worked for me.

Good luck.

7. bigyellowjimmy

did ya get the hub out?

8. steelsoldiers

I sure did. I mentioned it in my other post but I forgot to in this one. Here a pic of the hub body:
    [​IMG]
    I finally had a good idea after I broke part of the hub /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Oh well, they were pretty corroded anyways and probably would have let me down at some point. I actually drilled and tapped a hole in between two other holes, threaded in a bolt, and then kept cranking which forced the hub away from the axle using the end of the bolt. When it finally came out I felt like I just won the lottery Who knows what the next challenge will be with this thing. I guess that's part of the fun of using a less common front end /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. bigyellowjimmy

Good idea, keep us informed on your progress /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif