Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARRRRGgggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <RANT>

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[rantmode]
    So my truck has had a minor leak at the 1-2 shift acumulator cover for a while. Second time this has happend. Changed the O-Ring last year and it sealed but slowly started to give a minor leak. Well last week it started leaking worse. So Today I decided to replace the O-ring. Heck I know it wasn't that hard of job I was ready to pay a tranny shop a few buck to do it. Drive to 5 tranny shops in the area. Three actually open. None of them had the o-ring in stock. Pretty well told me they come in the kit and without having the old one they would not be able to match it up with the loose junk. One guy (the guy that rebuilt the tranny in the Lady's 79) told me that some corrosion some times forms where the seal seats. Told me to clean it up with a scotch brite pad.
    I hit the new Napa that open today right up the street figure not a chance in Hell they would have it. Well The building was new but the NAPA was relocated store. Guy had it at the bargin price of $1.05.
    So I spend some time putting my drive shaft back together while the truck cools. Once it's cool enough to work on I pop the c-clip out and pull the cover off. Pull the old seal out and inspect it. No major problems with it. It's still soft and plyable. find a small knick in it that doesn't look bad enoug to cause a leak. Get a mirror to look for the corrosion the tranny guy warned me about. Sure enough about the bottom 1/4 of the area was corroded. Spend some time with the scotch brite get it looking a lot better. while it's discolored a little I cant feel any major divits. Call it good enough. Didn't want to take away too much material out of fead of ovaling the hole and causing more problems.
    Grease up the new o-ring and install it. Take it for a test drive and the freaking thing is still leaking /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    I HATE LEAKS! I really hate leaks I can't get to stop. I thought about RTVing the thing but my worry is I won't be able to get the cover off again. It sits down in a hole and I would about have to drill a hole in it and slide hammer it out destroying the cover if I ever had to get in it again.
    Well too mad to work on it now. Guess I'll give it another shot tomorrow.
    [/rantmode]

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Awwww....po' Grimmy /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I know how you feel though...I've been chasing an oil leak ( i think I finally got it this time) and now I'm smelling antifreeze /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Bummer Grimmy. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I hate leaks too. But unlike you I have little knowledge, so I throw money at them. And yes, most money gets wet when thrown at leaks. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Hope you figure it out. Sorry I can't help.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate leaks, too. But I'm at the point where "screw the leaks, just keep adding fluid". /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Seriously now, my biggest PITA for a leak are the vacuum leaks. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I hate trying to find these types of leaks!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Had a freind with a motor like that. He never changed the oil just the filter. It leaked a qt. a week. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check your heater hoses. People make the mistake (including me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) of putting a 3/4 inch hose on the intake to heater connection and they will leak. That hose is supose to be a 5/8's. It will be wet right up there on the A/C box at the fire wall or at the intake. The intake connection is supose to go to the lower heater connection. That way it purges the air out into the radiator or the connection on the top of the water pump depending on how your truck was set up.
    Well the good news about my ATF leak is it is 1/8 of what it was but it's still ticking me off. Didn't mess with it today. Changed the oil and cleaned the spark plugs.....Lots of deposits on the plugs that were causing a misfire. Looks like my valve seals are about shot. No noticable smoke yet but it is using oil and it is messing with the plugs /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Hmmmmmmm Well maybe I'll just have to get me another crate. Course this will be one from an 88 so it will have the right cam to match the FI I'm getting from Keith /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Ohh heck maybe I should go for broke and get a Vortec /forums/images/icons/smile.gif What's a couple hunderd more bucks.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Hey its only money!

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I hate leaks, too. I had an oil leak and a tcase leak for a while. Split the tcase open and resealed everything one day and that looks good. Dropped my oil pan and resealed it real good. It was leaking from the back gasket. Well, now the front gasket on the oil pan is leaking! Then I noticed my rear diff was starting to drip. No biggy. I will get to it this coming weekend. But, while on a camping trip this weekend (while coating the front of my trailer with oil), I noticed a lot of oil on the bottom of the gas tank on one side. The freaking pinion seal on the diff is leaking, too! That is spraying gear lube everywhere as I drive! Guess I will be doing more than just popping the cover and replacing the diff gasket this weekend! Uuuugggghhhh!

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

check the vent on the diff. I had one clog on a 1 ton dually ford I had and when the pressure built up it'd force the gear lube out the pinion seal. Pull the vent out and cleaded it and the leak went away. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll check that. The vent hose runs up to the top of the firewall in the engine compartment, so that is an easy check. Much easier to check that now than to change out the freakin' pinion seal!

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Out here we call it a chassis lube. It keeps the salt water at Pismo from rusting the undercarriage, also makes for knocking the mud off a little easier. My front main on my tranny is wasted, uses about a qt a day when I drive it, glad I don't drive it much. PS box leaks about a qt a month, this keeps the drivers side leaf springs well lubed. I,m dropping the T-case and tranny this weekend, the PS box will be a while longer.