Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARRRRGH! Pilot Bearing kickin' my @ss

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, May 14, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

ARRRRGH! Pilot Bearing kickin\' my @ss

Hey all! I need to know what I am doing wrong here! I tried for 2 hours+ trying to get the DAMN tranny to mate to the engine, and it just doesn't want to get all the way there, and nothing is in the way, so I am assuming its the pilot bearing...

I used an old input shaft to align the clutch... and it seemed to fit well. I am installing the bellhousing, tranny, adapter, and xfer case (465/205) all as one piece using a nice tranny jack. The holes and pins all appear to be in the correct place, and the block seems to be parallel to the bellhousing... should I take it back down and install it in stages? It just seems like it would be a pain in the arse to install the 205, seeing as it is lop sided, and won't be very easy to get rigged into the tranny jack.

suggestions? Keep in mind, this is the FIRST manual trans I have ever installed, and it is very possible that I need a slap to the head, or even a "man you are dumb!" So feel free... and I am sure I am inviting a real big beating here, but who cares! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks all!

-Dan

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Re: ARRRRGH! Pilot Bearing kickin\' my @ss

I know it sounds stupid, but this is all from experance (aka ya I've screwed up lots) Did you slide the disk, and the pilot bearing on to the main shaft of the trans.? Have you tried to put it in gear and turn the main shaft so the splines rotate until engaged in the clutch disk? I've done installs as an assembly (trans. & t-case as one) you really need to fanaggle it around to get it in, Doing it that way I've almost always needed another pair of hands/eyes. Oh, make sure the clutch fork/throwout bearing are not binding on the input shaft of the tranny and not letting it move in toward the motor. Just keep wiggiling it a bit to make sure it's free. Hope any of that helps.

3. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

if you are sure you got the clutch lined up... try getting it as close as you can and then putting in as long as you need bolt's to get them started and try sucking it in (little wigling and jigiling also) then if you get it sucked in that far put a couple shorter bolts in that will let you suck it in some more and take the longer ones out. i have done this a few times. it has worked for me, not garenting it will work tho. you say this is you're first time. make sure you have you're throw out bearing on you're clutch fork right. my first time i learned the hard way.
    good luck and hope this may help you out....

dave

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

just did the same thing this weekend. my problem was when i put the tranny in i kinda droped it on the clutch and misaligned the clutch with the pilot bearing.
    this is what i did.

i put in the flywheel+clutch and aligned it.
    i put in the bell housing+ fork without the tranny
    i put in the tranny+Xcase adaptor, i got it in enough to where the throw out bearing was on the tranny shaft. then i used a come along to pull on the fork and loosen up the clutch.
    thing sliped right in.
    then i put in the Xcase. I've done this alone before. i had help this time.

ARQ.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

do not suck it in with long bolts.
    idiot friend destroyed a T10 that way as he didnt have the pilot bearing seated fully.
    do try the depressing the clutch pedal when it is close, worked for me everytime.
    are you having fun yet?

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Like MJ said DO NOT PULL IT IN WITH THE BOLTS, if it doesn't go just about all the way in then something is the matter.
    It doesn't take alot of misalignment for it to bind up.
    I do clutches all the time, just did one tonight.
    Not a 4x4 one but I would gladly do one in one of our rigs any time over that monstosity.
    Twin stick Maxi Torque Mack tranny, just about the size of a 55 gallon drum.
    Have the box in gear and when ya hit the splines start turning the rear yoke until the input shaft and clutch engage, then it will prolly take some wiggleing to get it to slide in, don't get crazy or ya will move the disk and have to start all over.

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I agree with m_j - once you get it as close as you can, release the clutch. This always works for me too. It is very hard to get the disc aligned good enough for it to go together, even if you use an alignment tool.

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

OKAY - so I need to hook up the master/slave cylinders, the hose, and the resivoir (sp?), then bleed it, then release the clutch (depress the pedal), and finally try to finagle the flippin' tranny into its place. It's just so close that I can taste it!!! I thought of releasing the clutch last night, but I didn't have it in me at 11:30pm to give it a shot. I just admitted defeat and crawled into bed. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Thanks for all the help guys! One more question... anyone know where I can buy the resivoir (sp?) for the master cylinder? Its the remote kind... so maybe there is a different application I can ask for at the parts stores? Napa looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for one for an 87 manual...

Thanks again!

-Dan

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

go to the salvage yard and look for a reservoir from another car, a lot of the imports that came with hyd clutch may have them.

ARQ.

10. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

My 88 has a separate reservoir.
    I know someone was having the same problem with a clutch job in a s-10.......turns out they had the clutch disk in backwards.

11. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

Also (may not apply) I just finished up putting my cadillac engine in my blazer. We had to grind the end of the input shaft to clear the back of the crank after measuring it exactly.

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Might I suggest you do this. Unbolt your bellhousing first of all. Bolt it to the block - it makes it much easier to get all the bellhousing bolts anyway. This also allows you to make sure the clutch fork and throwout bearing are not hanging in the way as you guide the tranny into place. Now try to install the tranny/t-case. I would also suggest you separate the tranny from the t-case, but if you can get it in as a unit -by all means. See, by bolting the bellhousing to the block first, you have several things which help you to line it up. There is a machined surface where the tranny front bearing retainer sits perfectly into the bellhousing. This will line it up for you. You did the correct thing to align the clutch using a tool. Let me know how this works.

Contact Blazer72 on the boards, I believe he has all the part numbers or at least the knowledge of years you need the master cyl for.

I would not suggest depressing the clutch while installing a Manual tranny. What happens when the clutch is depressed? The disk falls loose. Secondly, if you have the bellhousing loose - how would you depress the clutch anyway? You will be required to "move" the fork around slightly at times, but I've never heard of depressing the clutch until it is all bolted up tight.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

good point on the bellhousing needing to be bolted up.
    I missed that.
    bell should be mounted on the block.