Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

arrrrgh tranny cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, May 9, 2006.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

so, with the stock tranny cooler, and the big aftermarket one i have(b&m 28K GVR stacked plate) would i be fine with out the stock cooler?
    and do i need to plug it?

cannot find any fitting to adapt the -6an line to the 5/16th flare fitting on the rad.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Depends on what kinda low temps you see... it'll certainly run cool enough, too cool is the issue..

the stock one really acts more like a heater when used in conjunction with one up front...

i run just the cooler out front and have trouble getting it up to temp in the winter.. takes along time and only gets to about 160, 165.. in the summer, it heats up much quicker and gets to 180.. perfect..

but i'm strongly considering gettng my new radiator with the cooler and plumbing it in due to the long winter warmup time... thing that sucks is, it's basically gonna cost me a $100, $179 for a noncooler unit, $279 for one with.. takes 15 mins minimum for the gauge to move off 100 now in the winter when its 10, 15 degrees out.... i actually considered putting a heatlamp on the floor and run it when i wake up before i leave to heat the pan up, like a block heater... too much trouble tho..

i thought someone posted a link to some Earl's fittings for you? I hope they are available, cuz i run all steelbreaded and the Enduro fittings on that system...

isn't this what you need, inverted flare to AN?

[​IMG]

edit*** oh, i see the prob, thats 5/8's, nothing goes down to 5/16's... they don't even have 5/16's tube to 6 an, only 3/8's tube to 6 an... hmmm, further investigation is needed... i want to know too... i hate the idea of restricting the flow down that much, but without custom rad work to run larger fittings, hmmm... maybe a call to my rad guy and see what he thinks about putting larger fittings in before i install... i'll get back to ya on what i find...

3. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

I only use the big a$$ aftermarket tranny cooler and all winter the needle on my gauge didn't move. Now come summer time it just about always runs under 160, unless its a hot day and I'm working it hard and moving slowly. I haven't had any problems yet, so I'm not gonna worry about it.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ok so just the regular cooler it is
    2 more questions, do i need to plug the rad.?
    and is there such a thing as a bung you can put in the tranny pan with out welding it?

5. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

i am using a oil thermostat which i have set up with the rad cooler and a huge cooler in front. it goes into the rad cooler first then into the oil thermostat then has the option of going to the aux cooler or bypas to the tranny, thus i am always warm enough in winter, or cool enough in the summer. i also hooked up a inline remote oil filter to catch smaller particles before they reach the coolers. i seen a oil drain plug that was a bolt on one, http://www.4l60-e.com/

6. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

There is no need to plug the lines coming out of the rad. This is just were your Tranny fluid would pass through to "cool". I can't help you much with the bung thing.:dunno:

7. ryoken

yeah, but you really want that fluid to get up 150ish to burn off any condensation.. At least thats my concern...

Surp, just pick up a remote filter assembly like I run and run a sender in that, very simple, cheap and efficient..

[​IMG]

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

that's pretty cool. makes me want to put a pump in the 465 i'm going to get just so i can run something like that. :D

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i would like to, but no money, and i dont think i have the room for one

10. ryoken

They're only $30...

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

A bung for what?

If it's for a temp sender I used this:

[​IMG]

Taps into the cooler line out of the tranny to the cooler. That way I know the hottest temp the tranny is running.

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

thats fine for the hard line, i already have one of those, but i am useing -6an line now.
    thus my problem.

13. ryoken

why is it a prob? that thing has npt right? just put 2 npt to 6 an fittings in it.

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

mine is a little different, it came as a "T" and it only has the compression fittings, it came with the cooler

15. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Surpip, I going to repost what I said from your last thread.

What this means is the fitting have to bigger than the tube and there could be different size fitting for a given size tube.

I just measured a fitting that goes to the radiator cooler and it was 1/2-20. The tube was still 5/16.

So, this is the fitting you are looking for.

Sorry for the confusion.:crazy:

16. ryoken

well, you helped me... :D

I'm definitely going back thru the rad....

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

awsome , kick ass man, thanks alot