Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARRRRGHHH....won't pass inspection, exhaust manifold heat shield missing.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jtexfisher, Aug 10, 2005.

1. jtexfisher

jtexfisher Registered Member

:doah:
    Finally get everything ( so I thought ) ready to get the '79 up to the inspector. No lil' crinkly tube to the ThermAC, and worse, no heat shield on the exhaust manifold to put it on. "Go away and fix it" says Mr. Inspector.

Tube...no prob. $5 just about anywhere.

Heat shield? PROBLEM. Anybody ever see these for sale? Junkyards here in East TX won't part 'em from the motors, and can't find one for sale anyplace else. :(

If anybody has an idea of someone who sells these things, please lemme know.

Thanks,
    JT

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

What motor?

Junkyards here sell 'em. Of course we don't have inspections.
    I'm going in a couple of weeks, if you can wait that long.

You could always go to the hardware store, by some thin sheet metal and some tin snips and make your own pretty easily. Would take a little patience, but shouldn't be too difficult. Cut a cardboard or paper template first.
    I'm not at home so I can't look up the GM part number, you can try the dealer though, at the least get the part number and go to partsvoice.com and type it in,to find a dealer that has one.

3. jtexfisher

jtexfisher Registered Member

Motor? (oops)

I've got the 400.....

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

make your own...

I made a "stove" for my exhaust manfold on my 400SB when the OEM one rotted off...I used 2 peices of those metal "studs" you can get at home depot or lowes...I riveted two peices together and brazed 2 washers for mounts where the screws hold it to the manifold..worst part was drilling the broken screws out of the manifold..there are holes in the studs the "crinkle tube" fits perfect in!...best to make sure a home built one is acceptable at the inspection station before you waste any time making one though..good luck finding an OEM one new,or a usable used one..like finding hens teeth now.. :rolleyes:

I made mine to avoid carb icing here in the winter...if and when they get so anal about emission stuff here on old trucks,I'm moving to a state like florida--NO inspection stickers there PERIOD!!... :bow: :crazy:

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

all it does is get hot air from the exaust manifold area. make a little box around the manifold.

6. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

New Mexico is like that. Only the largest county (Bernalillo pronounced "Burn-uh-lee-o", also the county I live) has any sort of inspection. In any of the other counties, you can register anything street legal, no matter how bootyfabbed it is or how bad it pollutes.

Our inspection is VERY rigorous though. :haha:
    1) Car has to be newer than 1975 (Brand new cars are exempt for 4 years).
    2) Has to pass a sniffer test.
    3) Have to have a catalytic convertor and O2 sensor (if factory installed).

No safety inspection to speak of, no visual inspections of anything other than checking to see if you have a cat. If you pass the sniffer test and have an O2 sensor, you're good to go here.

7. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

man im glad i live where i'm at

here i arkansas no inspection i drove a standard k5 around for almost a year with open headers had tags and insurance on it..when i was around a officer or the station i pussyfooted it and it just sounded like some short glasspacks when i was in the clear i let people hear me for miles :D

8. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

wow id be pissed

all over the little heat stove box?

damn

what a crock

i might have one around possibly but unsure

thrown away billions of them in the past

hmm

pm me if you have no other luck

good thing im not you cuz i woulda told him to go F off I aint comin back,

it wouldnt have been very pretty at all,,