Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Art Carr shifter??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Oct 21, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

What are the advantages of one and what is the shift pattern?? I have seen alot of off roaders using them and I was just wondering what the benefit was.
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

the shift pattern is the same as it always was. Whats different about it, is its now on the floor, instead of on the steering colum. Alot of guys are getting reverse manual valve bodies. So its just like a stick shift, without the clutch. someone can explain it better than me though..

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The main advantage of a reverse manual valve body in an off road application is that reverse and 1st are closer together on the shifter.

4. 85mudblazin

so what is the shift pattern on just the shifter?? same as stock?? I really just like how they look. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think it goes R-N-P-D-2-3 for the stock (regular) valvebodies.

6. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

THE BEST SHIFTER EVER MADE
    IMHO
    you could pour sand, beer, soda, dirt, all over it and it will shift fine. It works using a heavy marine grade cable. Also, it uses gates so there will not be an accidental shift into a hurtful gear.

7. 85mudblazin

You think those gates would be a pain for a DD??

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't think it would be a problem at all. Very smooth and totally positive shifts, can't beat it IMO. Much better than B&M.

And "reverse" pattern is almost required for "manual" valve body since you are always in the selected gear. RN123 in order makes sense. But going though 3, to 2, to get to 1 every time would be a pain working through the gates.

9. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use the B&M light truck mega shifter and am very pleased with it apart from when it's in 'ratchet' mode you can shift 1 2 D then N /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif if you get carreid away but R is locked out (just lift the lever)Pics in my profile. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

They have them in stock and reverse patterns. Just a matter of the sticker that goes on the gates. The gates shouldn't be a problem for a daily driver. These are the best shifters hands down. I am going to be using one for sure. I've seen them on the trail and I don't see what else could be better when it comes to positive gear selection. Plus the quality of the shifter and cable is top notch.

11. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

to all the people that don't have an art carr you don't know what you are missing! i had a b&m megashifter in my truck th400 trans. i tried many times to adjust it to feel smooth and shift the way i expected. i wasn't happy! i also wouldn't want to be on a steep grade fighting with it! i put the art carr in. wow big difference! the quality is evident when you see the shift cable and hardware. once i had the shifter mounted adjusting it took 10 minutes. i haven't touched it in 500 miles and don't expect to! shift pattern on mine is the standard P-R-N-3-2-1 pulling towards you. they are well worth the money. by the way anyone want a cheap b&m with 100 miles on it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. 85mudblazin

cool, then ill get one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I have mine in a daily driver (during the summer and spring) and the only thing I needed to deal with is I do not have a stock steering column. This deleted the neutral safety switch and basically lets the truck start in any gear. But you should have your foot on the brake when you put it in drive anyway right?

14. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    cool, then ill get one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy one for me too but with a reverse shift pattern. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

chris, if you really want one, let me know because Art Carr owes me a favor or two after my valve body fiasco. You won't have to pay shipping either since I visit Abilene frequently and that is where they are located. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The shifters have nothing to do with the shift pattern.

The shift pattern is determined by the valve body. The forward pattern shifter is the exact same shifter as the reverse pattern shifter, they only put a different sticker on it. The trans. does not care what gate the shifter is for a certain gear only that the cable moved and put it in a gear.

16. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Yep your right!

I run a Art Carr model 14006 full manual/reverse valve body with compression braking in my TH400 that I rebuilt on the floor of my garage. I would like to have the shifter with the proper sticker on the gate /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what does compression braking do? Should a full trail rig have it, or no /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

It uses the engine rpm to slow the vehicle down while you are off the gas. Without compression braking, your transmission would act like it was in neutral when you are not on the throttle. Stock slush boxes all have this feature but most manual valve bodies do not. Art Carr is the only one who sells a valve body for the th400 that is set up this way. Other companies can custom build them for $$$$. Hell once I got mine, I figured out how they make them. I just can't manufacture the parts I need to do it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

19. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

so i a person was to convert to the reverse pattern valvebody you could just get the correct sticker? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Could someone explain the process for shifting the gate style Art Carr shifter. I've only had a ratchet shifter.

How do you go from one gear to the next?