Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Art Carr shifter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Jul 19, 2005.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am looking at getting an Art Carr shifter for when I put the console in the cage. Right now my th400 is stock, standard style valve body with a b&m shift kit. I would ultiamtely like to go to a full manual, reverse VB but for budget restrictions will do step by step for now. My question is if I get a standard style shifter can I just get a top plate to convert it to reverse? I figure so but their web site doesn't really specify. I have search with little feedback on that. IF anyone has good pic please feel free to post :bow: Thanks

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

It works the same forward or reverse, same spacing between gears. The only difference is the sticker on the shifter.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you get the reverse pattern "off road" model but have a standard shift pattern trans. With it in low gear, all the way back, and push the stick hard it'll stop at neutral. Then a flip of the wrist and you're in reverse. Just the 1/2/3 numbers will be wrong till you change the shift pattern. :wink1: :doah: I can take a pic if you need one. [​IMG]

Get the 2nd plate from the left.

4. MNorby

If you have some good close pics that would be cool. If not no biggy, thanks though.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check your email. :cool1:

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I would recommend calling California Performance Transmission instead of art carr. 877-278-2277.
    My treatment at art carr was terrible right down to personal attacks on my character and I will never deal with them or speak a kind word about the organization.
    The same shifter is available at CPT and other places.

7. MNorby

I read about your difficulties with thiem in a post a while about when I was searching this topic. I'll give them a call too later. Are they competitively priced compared to Art Carr? I found Winters and Cheetah shifters too all around the $250-300 range.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Stephen is not, by far, the only person to be treated that way by Art Carr Transmissions. Second not sending them any money.

Too bad Art Carr himself allowed them to use his name when he sold off the business.

9. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Somehow I had not heard of what happened with Stephen before I bought one during one of their big promotional sales. Had I known about that, and what I've since learned from others, I would never have given $0.01 to that old bat's company. I would much rather have paid full price on an alternative!

So, I've specifically removed the name plates so that it looks pretty much just like the ones from other companies to eliminate any free adverts. Anyone asks, I'll tell them it's from Art's new company. There is no excuse for that kind of poor service and treatment of anyone, customer or vendor...

11. MNorby

I talked to CPT and they were asking if it is a offroad or drag race application. Didn't think to ask but is there a difference in that? Thanks.

12. MNorby

Also anyone use the Cheetah SCS shifter that Summitracing sells?It looks like it has a T hadle on it that the Art Carr doesn't for something like a reverse lockout or something? Thanks.