Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

art carr shifter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gotmud77, Nov 4, 2003.

1. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Wheres the best place to buy an art carr shifter? I have a b&m and i am looking to change to something a little better. When i rewire and build the dash.

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

AZ-Kickin' says they have them in the add at the top of the page. You might give them a call (520-629-0125)

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Thanks nothin like givin the sponsor a little cash.

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Whats the current pricing on this shifter?

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Neil, $289.00 shipped in the 48 states.

7. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Who has the price of 289? Are they really worth the extra money.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

AZ Kickin' has them (see banner on top)
    IMO, yes, they are worth the money if you do serious off-roading. They are one of the very few that have truly positive shifts. B&M sucks, that's what I have. When budget rebuilds a bit, I'll have an Art Carr from AZ-Kickin...

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

From what everyone who uses these shifters, they have all said how nice they are. I like what Watson said - you can actually shift it into a gear, then hold on to the shifter in those offcamber situations. Gives you a nice grab handle!

10. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I see that they have it in the banner but am i missing it on the web site? If i had a product listed on a banner like that i would at least have a little info inside the web site.

11. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I love mine.

12. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

As soon as I get to drive the truck, I will let you know how mine is. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

13. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

James, yes you are right there is no product information about any Art Carr products on my website. Unfortunatley I am also working at another job, so my time is limited. I will be doing a re-vamp to the site this weekend if all goes right. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I was not trying to piss anybody off just trying to find out some info because once i decide to change it it has to be pretty quick and i just dont want to run into any problems because my truck is still my daily driver and it cant be down to long. Hopefully you will get a chance to work on your site and i will just check back.

15. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i have a few questions:

is there only one model?

how does it "hold" the shifter in place? is it just the groves in the housing? and if not do you have to pull a lever or somthing to shift?

thanks bill

16. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm sorry if I sounded pissed off, please don't take it that way. I was just trying to explain why the site wasn't updated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Sometimes it is hard to come off with a post and not sound pissed off. I do it alot and it is not meant to be that way. I really do appriciate the help and info i gather while surfing the site.

As for the operation of the shifter i think i read that stephen said something about it beeing a good grab handle or something along those lines. Is there some kind of trick to shifting it or does it work like the b&m but better?

18. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Basically, there are gates that ensure that you don't shift inadvertently. Super easy to shift. Super tough shifter (I've been told you can pour sand, beer, soda etc. all over this shifter and it will not bind or have trouble) That is why so many offroad racers, rockcrawlers and racers use art carr gear. I would never go back to a column shifter and I have had terrible luck with B&M stuff (i.e. shift kits that fall apart)
    I own one.
    I love it.
    One of the best mods I ever made.

19. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

The "Art Carr" gate shifter is a housing with lever that moves back and forth to pull the cable (very heavy duty) and move the lever on the side of the transmission. The lever does not have any detents or ratchets in the housing. The plate on top of the housing has positions (gates) that require moving the lever left or right after you have completed one shift and before moving to the next shift point. It is intended to prevent missing a shift and ending up in the wrong gear. The only difference is how many gears you have in your transmission and the corresponding number of gates. If you have a reverse valve body they just use a different decal for the gear positions. It is without a dought the easiest shifter I have ever installed. The only creative thing required is how you mount it to the floor.

20. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Thanks again for all the great info i think i will have to get one of these to replace the b&m i have. It is going to have to wait till i get the roll cage in from s&w.