Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Art Carr/Winters shifter/700R4 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toddz69, Oct 28, 2006.

1. toddz69

toddz69 Registered Member

For those of you that might be using an Art Carr/Winters gated shifter with your 700R4s....I have a question. I'm in the process of installing the shifter on my 700 and one thing I'm supposed to do is verify that the gate slots on the shifter match up with detents on the "rooster's head" bracket in the trans (if that makes sense).

I can't adjust the shifter such that I get full detent seating in Park and 1st gear at the same time. In other words, if I adjust it so that it's fully seated in Park, it's not fully seated when I pull it down to First, and vice versa.

The shifter was originally used for a Ford C4 but I purchased a 700R4 gate plate and cable mounting hardware for it assuming that all the shifters are the same in terms of throw, etc. - just the gates and mounting hardware were different. Anyone else ever have this problem?

TIA,
    Todd Z.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

nope... mine was perfect on all the detents... Tho it is FOR a 700... awesome shifter...

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Yea mine works good also. I had to adjust it just so the cable would reach when in park but it hits all the gears fine.

4. toddz69

toddz69 Registered Member

Thanks for the inputs, guys. After thinking about it a little more, I think maybe if I grind a bit on the gate plate in the Park position, I might be able to get it to seat correctly.

Todd Z.