Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Article on Wheels and Grinding a D60 for 15

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Feb 10, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, I'm tired of answering this question every few days so, I documented the differences in the 3 common types of wheels AND I documented my efforts in fitting a set of 15x8 wheels (with 4" back space) to a Dana 60 front axle.

You can check it <a target="_blank" href=http://members.home.net/russhuffman/grinding.html>here</a>

Let me know what you think. Did I leave anything out???

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nicely done Russ! That should go up on the home page!!!![​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. BadDog

Steve has it. I sent it to him a week or so ago but he has been so busy with the site updates that it had to wait. I just decided to throw it out here in the mean time to get feedback and see if anyone had corrections/improvements to add. Also to give a single place to point people at while Steve is busy.

Russ

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Russ,

The only "typo" I found was on the second line of the 15" wheel section

"...the cheapest for any give size."

Should be "given"....understandably, the spell checker wouldn't catch that, since it's spelled right, just incorrect context!! [​IMG]

The only suggestion I'd make is to spend some time in the early part of the instructions explaining the clearance issues with the 16.5" (None that I know of) and the 16" wheels. It's clear that the 15" wheels need to have caliper clearancing, and there MAY be some 16" wheels/offsets that need it too. I think it would help to identify which situations will require your "clearancing procedure".

By the way, I think that the descriptions and photos are excellent and they show what needs to be done in a very clear way. I hope that Steve decides to post this on the Technical Section. I think it will be a great "pre-emptive" document to have people read.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thank's baddog, I have about 4 that were sent in to get up.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Looks good. One thing you might want to add is doing the grinding is a whole lot easier with the axle out from under the truck and sitting on jack stands so if you are converting to a D60 it is easier to grind before it is put under the truck.[​IMG]

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

7. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

awesome site man. I'm getting ready to grind my calipers down. I'll be sure to check that site a few more times before I give it a go. I'm waiting for my wheels to arrive. Thanks for making that site you're right about the amount of people asking, its about time someone made a really nice site on grinding down calipers.

1986 GMC Jimmy 6" springs 3" body, 38/15.5/15 Swampers, 14-bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, 1991 front-end.

8. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I really appreciate the article. Due to the specific details contained in the article, I re-thought putting 15" wheels on my K-5 w/ a D60 &amp; 14bolt. I did not know that 4" backspacing wheels would fit without MAJOR problems. Great info. and pics.

"Seems like yesterday, I was here,
    Dreamin' my life away and drinkin' beer..."
    Robert Earl Keen

9. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Do you have to do all of this grinding on a D44HD from a 1T, to make 15" wheels fit? Thanks!

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

10. BadDog

As far as I know, you do have to grind on all 8 lug fronts but, I don't know how much. It might be different from a D60 with the same rim, I just don't know...

BTW, thanks for the comments everyone! I'll incorporate those changes/corrections ASAP. May be this weekend since I'm out of town this week.

Russ

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

One last question, I am assuming all this is irrespective of rim mounted balancing weights? Should I take off extra in consideration fo those? Or simply wait until mine and monuted and balanced to see where the problems may now exist?

One more question, about how long did it actually take you to do the actual grinding work?

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

12. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>My clip-on weights dont hit the caliper at all.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

BD,

your page on grinding RULES. I am glad Steve is is gonna put it up on this site, its just the kind of info a lot of peeps are looking for. Since I won't have to get new tires when I go 1-ton now...I will be able to do the swap earlier than previously planned...I may even be totally ready to go for the big Moab thing in august. yay!!! =)

I really like how you pointed out that new vs old pads might make a difference...that is super-useful info that I prolly wouldnt have thought of if I just did it myself. Now I'll know to put new ones on in advance!! =)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

14. BadDog

I'm not home to look but, I don't think the weights would be a problem.

jekbrown:
    That info was provided by a guy here named mj (was 77chev) on another post where he and I were answering the grinding question. I knew about the caliper self aligning on the rotor but, he is the one who pointed out it's obvious affect on the ground surface.

Russ

15. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The weights clear with no problem. The stick on weights won't clear though and since I have some on one of my back wheels I can't rotate them.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>