Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Articulation question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Apr 29, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Ok right now I have 2.5" lift on the Blazer. I just did a 3/4 ton swap and now have 35's/32's before. This totally limits articulation do to the limited wheel travel. Can I still do moderate to medium wheeling without the problems of just turning my truck over to the side? I have thought of a 1" body lift and ORD 0 rates f/b. This will help me clear the tires but if I want flex I am assuming my only option is another lift kit. If this is my solution would 6" be to much? I still want to get the family in there without have to use a ladder /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The AK57 susp is what I here is good now a days for lots of Flex. What would be some other good setups. Of course i would have to by new shocks and have my driveshafts custom made,yadda, yadda, yadda. Geez this spending trend has no end in sight /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

with an ak57 you dont have to mess with your rear driveshaft from what I hear. Alot of people have made them longer and then cut them back down to close to stock length.

Nick

3. stallion85

Thats reassuring. I guess you would just have to by new front springs from another vendor?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not getting it. Whats limiting you? Your fenders? what? 2.5" shouldn't flex badly. What is your rear lift consisting of? AK 57 adds flex sure but you get most of your stuff from the drop away setup that many people aren't fans of. Then again some swear by them. What changed in your setup through the swap? If nothing you should really flex better with the more unsprung weight. 6" lift will certainly flex less than your 2.5". Consider Sway bar disconnecting as well.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

AZ-kickin sells lift components so you could get front springs to match your AK57 from them.

6. stallion85

Well i do have the disco in the front, I was under the impression going from a 32" tire to a 35" tire that the articulation would be limited do to less range in up travel by hitting the fenders on the inside. I have not checked to see if they hit the bumbstops before the tires hit the inner fender well. It sure does look like it would. I thought with more arch and flex in your springs created more ease of axle articulation? Wouldn't 6" give you better flex than 2.5"? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

A larger lift will give you more positive arch in your springs. This results in less articulation and a stiffer ride. I have a 4 inch TC in the front shackle flip rear and zerorates all around. My rear flexes 3x better then a friend who has a 4 superlift (springs all around). The less amount of arch in a spring the less force it has to fight meaning better articulation. I believe atleast.

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you just need to trim the front fenders. It shouldn't be too hard to get full articulation with 2.5" of lift and 35's....a lot of people on here are running 38-39" tires with only 4" lifts.

Regarding tall lifts, with everything else equal a spring pack with more arch will be stiffer, and therefore probably less travel, than a lesser arched spring.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like you just need to trim the front fenders. It shouldn't be too hard to get full articulation with 2.5" of lift and 35's....a lot of people on here are running 38-39" tires with only 4" lifts.

Regarding tall lifts, with everything else equal a spring pack with more arch will be stiffer, and therefore probably less travel, than a lesser arched spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am running 4" of lift and 39.5" tires, trimming and all I'm certain I will articulate just fine without contact.

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I am currently running 1.5-2" of lift with 35's and I can fully stuff my tires. I have heavy trimming in the front (enough to probably fit 37's) but none in the rear and they fit fine.

Don't worry about connecting on the inners before you hit your bumpstop because it won't happen. I beat my inners back to meet the outers just around the edges, the inside of them are right where the factory left em. well at the top anyways and I have never touched em. 2.5" lift and you will be laughing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

damn Jeff,

It sounds like you are going to have one hell of a setup before I swing back through Las Vegas next year to pick up my K5. If you're not TDY next February, we'll have to try and hit a trail one day before I drive out to Missouri. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. stallion85

Max, do you have any pic's of your ride with full flex on the 2" lift? It would be nice to see what it would look like. Thanks for the bit of knowledge, I am learning stuff all the time here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here, check this out. 2.5" lift (closer to 2" because of the winch) and 35's. I am dropped ok pretty well here and I am totally limited by my draglink and shocks. The other side is stuffed hard inside the fenders. There is more shots of my truck with 2.5" and 35's in my link in my signature. The Woodpecker & Raw Deal album is all 2.5" and 35's.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/122912919/122913752XczHtF

Harley

14. stallion85

Thanks Harley, I like your truck a lot and looked at your pic's before I did my axle swap and 35's. I thought those pic's you had a bigger lift put on. Those wheelin pic's are pretty sweet, where is it at?

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Check this out:
    ORD burb
    It's not built as an articulation machine but it's a good multi purpose truck with a short lift and 35's.

16. stallion85

Steve, I love the "Burly Burb". I've checked it out before and really liked what I saw. I even tried to talk the wife into gettin one for the family /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif She said it was too big of a truck for her to drive. That's some great flex with a 4" lift though, lookin forward to more buildups on it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Part of the pics are Table Mesa Rd, AZ and part are Florence Junction, AZ.

I now have about 5" of total lift. But all those pics are 2.5" This weekend will be my first time out with the 5" lift, crossover steering, & HD diff covers.

Harley

18. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

hmm, sorry Jeff, nothing fully flexed. I didn't have the camera with me when I was flexing it right out. I do have this though for an idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

I'll try and get some more this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah and I run Brown Betty without a swaybar as well and it still has plenty of room /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok went and flexed it out for ya
    I need to get a shackle flip bad lol

[​IMG]

rear tire stuffed up
    [​IMG]

Ok this one shows how close to the bumpstop I am on the front passenger side and you can kind of make out how much extra room I still have for the tire to clear on the inner fender.

[​IMG]

This one shows the bumpstop a bit clearer.

[​IMG]

And I'm not sure how well this one shows the clearance cause of how dark it is but...

[​IMG]

I think I could fit 37's with this same amount of lift if I trimmed the rear fenders a bit. Right now they have none.

My lift consists of a saggy set of 2.5" springs, that maybe gave me 2" and the rear is a 1.5" lift block with stock springs.

I think that the shocks are limiting my flex by maybe an inch or so. They are just the stock ones.

Well hope that helps give you an idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you need any more of anything specific just let me know. It was fun going out and getting these ones for you /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif