Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Articulation: The Chrome & Neon of the 00's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Corey-88K5, Mar 29, 2000.

1. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Articulation: The Chrome & Neon of the 00\'s?

I'm just wondering. Does anybody remember back in the good ol' days, if it wasn't hot <font color=red>pink</font color=red>, <font color=orange>orange</font color=orange> or <font color=yellow>yellow</font color=yellow> & chocked FULL of chrome, it wasn't cool. Well seems like people these days have taken the same trend with articulation. It used to be that as long as it was lifted, no matter how rigid the suspension, or how many blocks that were piled on the front & rear axles and a few coats of that neon paint with more chrome accents than a you can imagine, your truck was good to go. Seems these days everybody is into articulation, along with a more estabilished suspension system. Its great to see that people are no longer using blocks in the front of their vehicles to net the lift they want. Not to mention all that annoying color & ugly chrome.

We have come a long way my fellow fourwheelers... I"m just glad I can say I never had a neon truck, or chrome shocks, driveshaft, chassis, doors......

Oh ya, how many of you stil have tape deck's? [​IMG]

Corey (the Anti-chrome)
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Re: Articulation: The Chrome & Neon of the 00\'s?

Amen on the chrome and neon colors. Still have a Pioneer tape deck that's waiting to be installed in the K5. I love the functions better than almost any other veh. radio I've owned, and it's about 10 yrs old.

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I never have liked the chrome frame rails or chrome spring packs. As far as a pink or yellow truck, well enough said already. I bought my last Kenwood tapedeck back in 94, they seem to only last about 5 years for me. This one is the exception since it's lasted about 6 years so far. How bout 8 tracks? Anybody still have one?

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Haa HAa
    what a topic!
    I always laugh my a@@ off when I see a lifted truck (doesn't clasify as a rig) with crome blocks,drive shafts, shocks, etc... Don't these peolple know that when you chrome something the prosess weakens the structure of the metal??? The only pice of chrome on my rig is the air cleaner.
    later
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

5. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

I found an 8-track player in my garage at home.....
    :)

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

There was a good response in the "Letters" section in a recent 4x mag (not sure which one) where he explained that a certain chroming process can actually strengthen the metal though I'm sure most chrome parts are plated a cheaper method making the metal brittle. I'll have to dig it out and post it here later. I don't see the problem with chrome shocks. I use to have a set and never had a problem. I purchased them used (the guy never put them on) for a great price. I liked how they never got pitted and were easy to clean. If one were to break, it's not like a safety hazard. I now have a set of RS-9000 shocks (not chrome) but I still may run my chrome stabalizers since they're still good. I agree wih you that you should never chrome crucial steering/suspension parts.

Shawn
    87 K5

7. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

I want that 8-track for my '74 Sarah :o)Ha.
    Can I say that my '79 is completely blacked out, cause its a beast.
    But I was going to restore the '74 to a complete stock cruiser, including chrome bumpers and paint it canary yellow (NO chrome under). I guess Im not as cool as I thought I was.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>harder, faster, longer, stronger</font color=blue>

8. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I still have the original 8 track for my 74, it is not installed, I had to install a tape deck so I would have some tunes!

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have a Sanyo tape deck but it hasn't worked since October when i broke the antena pulling the nose off to put my motor in. one day i'll replace it, really.</font color=blue>

10. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Not so sure all that chrome and neon are out. Not that I subscribe to that sort of thing, but I'd have to say that there is still a whole world of show trucks out there shiney as ever. My wife, bless her, thought she'd pick up a truck mag for me while she was at the store and ended up buying one of those slammer mags. Well I just had to look and it seems that whole neon, chrome, and hydralically lifted and swisted bed truck thing is still going on and is as strong as ever.

Yuck. I'd much rather see a rig go up and over an RTI ramp any day! I'm impressed on how much you guys can get those big rigs to twist those straight axels!

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

11. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I'll agree that threre is nothing wrong with a little chrome on your truck. Notice I said a little. I love my truck and it is uglier than crap. Litterally. I am going to put a nice paint job on it. New chrome mirrors, bumbers and wheel well guards. I'm also going to replace all of the original molding which is chrome. There is a huge difference between a nicely restored truck and one that has all the crap you can buy from WalMart on it. Then there are the show trucks. Goodness give some money to charity instead of wasting up to $80,000 on a show truck. Who cares if your bed tilts if you can't use it.

12. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

April 2000 Issue of FOURWHEELER

Has the Chrome-Plated letter in the Letters section. Tells how you can bake a part in an oven for a certain amount of time at a certain temp to get rid of the hydrogen embrittlement. It cost more money, but some stuff works better chromed. Dont care for chrome on my particular rig, the chrome under the hood was all free and replaced either leaking or broken parts.

Would like to have some WHITE NEON underneath the beast for some ROCK LIGHTS!

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

13. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Re: April 2000 Issue of FOURWHEELER

Thats what I hate about Off-Road magazine. They are the most unrealistic of all the magazines. Most of the owners claim they offroad them. Yea right. Chrome everywhere and 44's on 10 bolts. That would last about 1 minute in the real world.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

14. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

Quite frankly my dear...I don't give a damn. Personally, i'm sick and tired of hearing about rigs having 15 feet of articulation and being able to crawl over dump trucks and still keep two wheels on the ground. It's getting OLD. Yes, I too am glad the days of hot pink and checkerboard graphics are gone...but now everywhere you look its "R.T.I., R.T.I., R.T.I.". Just give me well developed and thought out, functional trucks. When was the last time you had to drive one corner of your rig up a house??

Maybe I'm just bitter or jealous. No....that's not it.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

15. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

If its your truck with your own touch its good, articulation, whoo.. chrome - not bad on non functional parts... Paint your whole truck in bedliner material, YES!!! I would love to see that, Mine might be that when i am done, who knows... I do agree that articulation is over rated though... and so are huge tires, like 44's, 33's or 35's sure, 44's maybe for mud racing

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

16. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

MEMEME, I've still got a portable 8 track player-sitting in a box at home :-) but it still works and so do my 50 or so 8 track tapes.... as soon as I get a CD burner I'll remedy that though.
    and Yes I've got a tape deck in the dash.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

17. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Toad, I'm totally with ya on that. Like I said I don't subscribe to that sort of thing. I was going to sell my mouldings, but on second thought I might keep them for a later restore.

I think the over-chroming is the compitition that get's these guys to spend those un-Godly amounts of $$ on their trucks, then (hopefully) some of the proceeds from the gate at those shows go to good causes. I like seeing how much they can Frankenstein a truck out. Not my thing to do, but I like to watch! [​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com