Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Articulation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, May 23, 2003.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I dont think my K5 will ever do this :
    [​IMG]

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Nope, it will never have a horrifying rear steer effect due to short links like that does. </font>

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my suburban will one day have that rear steer "problem" due to a D60 and a full hydro set up.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I don't quite understand how a D60 and hydro will cause the rearend to steer as though it has a 4 link with very short links, but OK. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It looks like the rig in the pic does have rear steering, but the axle is also far from square, the side that is drooped is much farther forward than the side that is stuffed, that's the problem I'm talking about. Rear steer in the traditional sense is the shizzle for rizzle. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif</font>

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

It looks broke.
    Jim

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sure your K5 could do that...just remove all the shackle bolts (and don't drive it on the street/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Rene

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think he may have meant 4 wheel steering with full hydro Shaggs...

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah but Shaggs and I are talking about the rear axle steer caused by poor 4 link design.

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I can only dream.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah but Shaggs and I are talking about the rear axle steer caused by poor 4 link design.

[/ QUOTE ]

it does appear to have rear steer(the suspension), but its an optical illusion caused by the turned wheels. jason paule is one of the premier buggy builders in the country. his 4 links stay very square(as much as humanly possible) in the chassis. i have seen some horrible 4 links that turn the rig enough where the driver has to steer into it. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Looks like the things got a tie-rod and knuckles to me.

If it doesn't, then....um...

Yikes !

12. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

it does almost look like theres a tie rod and knuckles but the axle is still 90* to either wheel ruling out rear steering there. Looks kinda scary /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do relize you are trying to bash a builder who has had rigs take the top three spots at a national event not to long ago?

I agree that the rig has some suspension induced rear steer but not a whole lot, I have alot of pictures to bad I can't post them. Also flex steer isnt the worst thing in the world expecially when you have rear steering. Many other things have to be taken into account, such as ground clearance and roll center along with flex steer.

14. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also flex steer isnt the worst thing in the world expecially when you have rear steering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that might be the case when your creeping along at a snails pace. But, I would suspect, it would be handfull to control, at any speed.

Preditcability, is overrideing in my opinion.
    I'd gladdly give up some articulation, in favor of "knowing" how the things going to react to the tarrain. If the rear axle steers, by more than a 4 or 5 deggrees. It's going to take the driver's mind off the path ahead, and place it in the path behind (possibly, literarly).

In this case, rear steer (as often is the case) works in favor of the driver. The drive would not have to over-steer the corner, as he would have if the rear steer was limited.

15. FULLSIZE

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also flex steer isnt the worst thing in the world expecially when you have rear steering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that might be the case when your creeping along at a snails pace. But, I would suspect, it would be handfull to control, at any speed.

Preditcability, is overrideing in my opinion.
    I'd gladdly give up some articulation, in favor of "knowing" how the things going to react to the tarrain. If the rear axle steers, by more than a 4 or 5 deggrees. It's going to take the driver's mind off the path ahead, and place it in the path behind (possibly, literarly).

In this case, rear steer (as often is the case) works in favor of the driver. The drive would not have to over-steer the corner, as he would have if the rear steer was limited.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why high speeed desert trucks use 2 link suspension that has like 4'+ long control arms and anti-roll bars. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    this is why high speeed desert trucks use 2 link suspension that has like 4'+ long control arms and anti-roll bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh-huh...

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    this is why high speeed desert trucks use 2 link suspension that has like 4'+ long control arms and anti-roll bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh-huh...

[/ QUOTE ]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. FULLSIZE

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh-huh...

[/ QUOTE ]

.................... what did i miss here? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

19. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh-huh...

[/ QUOTE ]

.................... what did i miss here? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm I dont think a 2 link would work really well. What in the hell is going to locate the axle side to side? BTW they usually use 3 or 4 link designs, a 2 link just wouldnt work at all.

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Two long trailing arms and a panhard bar (not tech a link) would be a 2 link, but I've head it called that. Most folks around here say "It's got Chevy truck trailing arms" refering to '72 &amp; older 2WDs.