Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ARVEETEK, White Smoke, Stalling, Missing, lack of power SOLVED BUT...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Jaguargt, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Jaguargt

Jaguargt Registered Member

i'm having this problems with my 83 6.2 White Smoke all the time, Stalling, Missing, lack of power, could be air in the system, or something worst?

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Re: ARVEETEK, CAN YOU HELP PLEASE?White Smoke, Stalling, Missing, lack of power

Could be air. Could be worn out injection pump. Could be timing way off. Have you messed with the injection pump or timing recently? Did this problem just start? Can you give me more symptoms, such as when it stalls, how often, that sort of thing.

Casey

3. Jaguargt

Thanx for your answer, i haven't touch the timing or the injection pump ever, and it just started to do that, when i start it, and hit the pedal the revs goes up and up, and then down, until the engine stops, and i restart the engine and starts missing and stalling, and after the engine it's warm, the white smoke it's present, and in a uphill, literally, the truck barely moves like 20mph, really slow, and after a stop, and restart it's really really slow. (i don't know if this last problem concern the tranny). but is slower when it's warm. thanx. for your help.

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Very possibly air getting in the fuel somewhere, possibly a lot of water in the fuel. Timing is not likely to be very far off unless you changed it or the chain skipped a tooth (I dont know how likely this is on a 6.2). Put a clear piece of fuel line on your return and look for air bubbles, that will eliminate air in the system. You didnt put gasoline in the tank by accident did you? Eliminate the easy stuff before you start changing out expensive parts like pumps and injectors.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yep, sounds like air. The reving up and down is a classic symptom of air getting in the system. You might have other problems, but let's get the air leak fixed first.

I would start by checking all the rubber hoses in your fuel system. Don't forget the hoses down by the fuel lift pump and the hoses that are connected to the top of the fuel tank. If they're cracked, it will allow air to be sucked in causing the symptoms you described.

I would suggest you change the fuel lift pump as well. They're cheap, and can be a source of all kinds of headaches. If the pump isn't working right, the injection pump has to draw it's own fuel, which will cause hesitation, stalling, and low power. Look up at the top of the list of posts to see my tips on changing out a fuel lift pump.

Casey

6. Jaguargt

thanx to everyone to reply, i finally solved my previous problem, was a clogged secondary filter, but yesterday in the morning i tried to start my truck, and nothing, air in the system, and there was diesel on the floor, right under the bellhousing, i thought that the filter needs a little bit tighter, but i tighted it a little more, and in the night the same, i pulled out the filter and was empty to the half, then i changed a hose that is between the out hard line and the pump, but today in the morning there was diesel again in the floor, i can't figure out where is the leaking, how can i test it?, thanx a lot.

Selvin

7. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like what mine is doing with a blown injector pump. That clogged filter could have killed your pump, but I hope that's not the case.

8. Jaguargt

but, when i finally started it, it rans good, until it's seatted for 5+ hours,

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Most likely leaking from the throttle shaft, no need to get a new pump, just take it to a pump shop and have them fix it for you. You will want to shine a flashlight on the drivers side of the injector pump and see if that is indeed where its leaking before you pull the pump.