Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

As anybody here done a Dakota digital dash..???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gokartergo, Feb 23, 2004.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

They are a sponsor every year at BlazerFest.. I am thinking of doing it.. But wanted to now what problems anybody had ran into.. I know they are pricey.. But I like the look... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[​IMG] Dakota Digital

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Are you insane! 600 bucks american!! Although it looks hi-tech and spaceship like.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. gokartergo

It is for my sububan that doesn't really wheel.. I guess I should have said that.. It is not for my K5... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh cool. What color are you getting? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

those are cool
    i dont really care for those alarm clock numbers

would be nice if they could use an LCD with digital gauges that you could change from time to time

have a bunch of guages, or just however many you need at the time...just my .02

6. gokartergo

[ QUOTE ]
    oh cool. What color are you getting? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just in the thinkin stage right now.. I wanted some feedback.. But it will probably be blue..

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Shoot, I paid around $500 just for the gauges when I did my Autometer Procomps, plus hours of tracing wires and building wiring harnesses. $600 seems pretty reasonable to me if it's plug and play.

8. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Shoot, I paid around $500 just for the gauges when I did my Autometer Procomps, plus hours of tracing wires and building wiring harnesses. $600 seems pretty reasonable to me if it's plug and play.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo!!

exactly what i was thinking. although i have never changed the k5's gauges, i did replace my 18' center console wellcraft's last year, and all together i think i hit 800 or more. 600 sounds reasonable to me!

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did their custom six guage dash in aluminum bezel. I have it temporarily set-up in a wooden dash. Once I finish the interior, my buddy who does metal work is going to mount it in a custom dash. I like the crispness of the numbers and the way they blink when a preset (although adjustable) limit is hit. This is for my toy (1980 tow-rig/pulling truck), as I would not do something this $$$$ for a trail rig....my .02

I had a problem with my oil pressure not displaying accurately and they sent me a new sender for free. When I installed it, it was still off, I then called tech support and we trouble shot everything until I found a bad connection in the fuseblock where then sending unit wire goes in. They were very patient with me, and I would recommend their product/support.

An ex-friend of mine had his 84 done like the one in the picture behind the "stock" dash and it looked alright (much better than stock).

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm planning on getting a mid 80's El Camino sometime this summer. I will be installing a Dakota Digital dash in it.

11. gokartergo

I just noticed that you have to hook up a VSS. Did he have any problems hooking up one..??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler

got one for christmas, i have not hooked it up yet. the vss is handled by a part u re[place in the transfer case in the place of the cable and run wire. if you have the 90-91 you use the vss supppied by the drac unit. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. gokartergo

[ QUOTE ]
    got one for christmas, i have not hooked it up yet. the vss is handled by a part u re[place in the transfer case in the place of the cable and run wire. if you have the 90-91 you use the vss supppied by the drac unit. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it just screw into the transfer case?? Are do you have to pull the T-case apart. To me a VSS is one that goes on the driveline.. But I am old school...LOL

14. frankin5

it replaces the speedocable at the tranfer case. just a plug in unit. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Me likey........... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

16. gokartergo

[ QUOTE ]
    it replaces the speedocable at the tranfer case. just a plug in unit. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is easy enough.. Ok how does it read the gears.. Meaning,if it is in park or drive??

17. frankin5

you can use the stock setup or you can order the adapter to to read out in the tach area of the face as in the picture you posted. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. gokartergo

Thanks for your help.. The only other problem then would be I would have to change the sending unit in the tank... And thats no big deal.. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

19. frankin5

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for your help.. The only other problem then would be I would have to change the sending unit in the tank... And thats no big deal.. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no you don,t. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. gokartergo

My sending unit is bad.. .. I just got this burb running.. I have no speedo right now or gas gauge.. So instead of putting money towards a sending unit and speedo cable I am going to go this route.. And get the sending unit they suggest.. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif