Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

As far as clearance goes.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Jan 4, 2007.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Would you guys consider a rig on 10bs with 33s, the same or similar to a D60/14BFF on 35s?

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

10b would be higher. A tires size is not exact and then you have to divide the difference by 2 because half of the size is above the axle center.

3. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Under axle clearance, yes. Under body & frame clearance, no.

4. NEK5

But can anything be done to make it the same/similar besides having to do as much clearancing as the the R&P, as I`ve heard about on the 14BFF???

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

It was pretty easy to grind the 5/8", or so, lip off of the bottom of the 14ff. If you are just gonna run 33s. stick with a 10 bolt in the rear.

6. NEK5

What if I were to run 35s?

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you can clearance a 60. depending on how much you want to gain will determine how hard a process it will be. I simply ground everything smooth on the bottom of my 60. only picked up millimeters but it slides better then before. I have seen where guys hack the bottom and grind the ring gear down like a 14 bolt.

or you could spend the big money and get one from Dynatrac, they say its more clearance then a stock 44.

8. NEK5

Yea, not looking to do any of that....

What about the difference between a 14bsf and 10b, on both 33s, and 35s?

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

People take the clearancing thing wau to far. If the 14bff is shaved and smoothed out (just removing the lip and blending in) then it'll be fine. It will slide over rocks fine...

Yeah it will hang a little lower in mud but not that much... Id rather have the piece of mind;)

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I agree I think people take it too far too.. I have yet had to care that my 14bolt ff is big.. and still has the lip... I have yet to remove it cuz I havent had to.... although I do still want to go 44's but nj says NO... so the other way to get better clearance is of course... MOG AXLES!!!!!!:bow:

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

yes Mogs!

12. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

It's been my experience that any extra ground clearance I can gain under the pumpkin is beneficial. When I'm out wheelin' the diff. is usually what gets me hung up on rocks, stumps etc..

The purpose of larger tires and lift is ground clearance, so why run unnecessarily large axles (33- 37in tire guys) and sacrifice a large part of what you have gained :dunno:

When I went through the decision process of upgrading my rear axle loosing ground clearance was a big concern, as I can legally only run 33" - 35" tires (35s are not actually legal on 1/2 tons, but the staties let them go) in Maine, so the 14bff was out of the question even with liberal grinding.

13. NEK5

Well, all I`m running really, at least so far is mud...I think I can deal with the lower ground clearance, as I think the strength gain is more than an even trade off....

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I went from the 10-bolt to a shaved 14FF (lip removed and bottom ground smoothed) with the same 35" tires on both axles and couldn't notice any difference.

15. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

for clearance problems i find the best way to remedy this is to run 44s or bigger :laugh:

16. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Just for fun...can you measure your min. ground clearnace under the 14bff?
    This might make a good comparison.

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you need more clearance, I'm willing to trade you my front 10b for a D60 :D

18. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have the exact height measurements of the 14bff differential and how far down the pumpkin hangs below the middle of the axle tube?

Thanks in advance.

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I should have removed the lip on my 14FF before I put it in. All of the times I have been hung up it was because of that lip. Now I have to lay under the truck and try to get as much of it down as I can:o.

Ira

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, a ff14b can be smoothed out... and I don't care how much less clearance it has than a 10b, if I'm going offroad it is WELL worth it to have a rear axle that is beefy and worth a crap. One has to look at the entire package. Ground clearance is the ONLY thing a 10b rear end has on a 14. The 14 is superior in every other way. If you are building a street machine, then sure, stick with 10s (not that ground clearance makes much difference in the mall parking lot!). If you are building a wheeler and are going to run 35s.... Im going to make a wild guess and say that at some point down the road you will go bigger than 35s. My K5s first tires were 35s. Now I have 44s for it. On offroad rigs, tire size pretty much only goes up. :)

j